Highlighted
sandsedge
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Update stalled because of out-of-date Intel RST driver

I ran into a problem after renaming my iaStorA.sys to iaStorA.old, so I do not recommend that method. That said, you can recover from that unbootable situation by going into the Windows 10 Advanced menu and going to command prompt. CD to c:\windows\system32\drivers and rename your iaStorA.old back to iaStorA.sys and then type "exit". Power back on your PC and it will boot.  After than, I used the Intel driver updater and updated to the version it recommended (be patient, it takes 15 min), then rebooted and did a "fix" on the Windows Update to version 1903 and it is proceeding now. That is expected to take potentially hours, but I'm pretty sure it'll work now.

0 Kudos
saschaBolotin
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Update stalled because of out-of-date Intel RST driver

I agree!

I have a hard time to comprehend that a company that develops such fine and expensive computers at the same time treats their customers like this.

johnptd
3 Argentium

This is really a shame. Dell has not updated the RST for the 9350 since Nov 2016 (v15.2.2.1030) which is in the bad range. At least there is an update for the 9550 (Sep 2017, v15.7.5.1025) which is good, though not the latest version. I updated to that on my 9550 and it works fine.

You don't want to just go in and rename iaStorA.sys without updating RST either through Dell or Intel as it is a driver assigned to the SATA drive controller. I don't know if updating to the latest RST (v17.x.x.x) from Intel would work on older systems. Intel does have a version 15.9.6.1044 of RST available which should work and is recommended by Microsoft. Try that. After you install that, check the version of iaStorA.sys now installed to make sure it has been updated to 15.9.6.1044. If yes, you are good to go.

JohnD

0 Kudos
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Germanium

@johnptd 

What I can't understand is why have a file on the system that is not needed???

IRST.PNG

I do not have IASTORA.sys installed on my system.

I have a SATA drive controller?

But I am not running "RAID" and I only have one HDD???

Best regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
0 Kudos
ScottDT1
1 Copper

For xps 9350 owners, follow Shep914's adivice in this thread. 

Use the Intel Driver & Support Assistant. The driver that it recommends, 15.9.0.1015,  worked perfectly for my and other's machines. No need to change file names or any other work-arounds.

DO NOT USE THE LATEST DRIVER 17.5.1.1021 as suggested by the Dell support guy, Jesse-L on this thread.

johnptd
3 Argentium

U2,

Most people do not have RAID installed on their system, but they get Intel Rapid Storage Technology anyway. You can read what Intel says about RST. There is more to it than just RAID.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html

What driver is your SATA controller using?

JohnD

0 Kudos
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Germanium

@johnptd 

Yes I know, at least it made you become a "Google Tech" and find out for yourself.

TumbUp.PNG

Regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
steftymo
1 Copper

I have an XPS 13 9350 and just tried using the Intel support site, as suggested by shep914 and others, but when it scanned my laptop it came back stating that my software was up to date! It isn't though, I still have the old RST driver from 2016 which won't allow me to update Windows.

Any ideas what I should try next?

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Argentium

If you go to the Dell driver site for the XPS 13 9350, they have a new RST driver available (v16.8.3.1003) released on Aug 22, 2019. Give that a try.

JohnD

0 Kudos