Re: XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Update stalled because of out-of-date Intel RST driver

I wish DELL would provide some communication on this.  I, too, am stopped from updating Windows because of RST.   I am not computer savy and all the information I read online gives major warnings about updating the RST outside of your manufacturer.  So I am here in Dell and no update is in the drivers.   Does anyone have any info on whether DELL is working on providing us an RST update in the drivers section of website?   Thansk

labessade
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Update stalled because of out-of-date Intel RST driver

I also have a DELL XPS 13 9350, no updated driver available and I am very frustrated I keep getting failure update messages daily. Has anyone contacted DELL direct about this?

0 Kudos

labessade.

You can click here to download the driver from Intel. Once it is updated the Windows 10 update should continue.

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

0 Kudos
davidlpotts
2 Bronze

To Jesse L:

Thanks for replying. What many of us would like to know is whether Dell is going to provide an updated driver for this unit, as they have for other units. Can you tell us whether this is in the works?

Or is a custom RST update not planned for the 9350 because Dell has determined that it is not necessary?

-David

Hey davidlpotts,

I have no information if Dell is going to update Intel RST Driver for the xps 9350. You can do the following to get the driver and have Windows 10 continue to update.

You can click here to download the driver from Intel or follow the information below.

You can navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Locate iaStorA.sys and rename it to iastora.sys_x . Now, go ahead with the 1903 update and it would go through.

I hope this is helpful in getting Windows 10 updated for you. If not, let us know.

0 Kudos
CorkyC
1 Copper

I share the concern of others because the Intel download site (probably the same as the link given) emphasises the importance of obtaining confirmation from the equipment manufacturer that the generic driver is supported.

My personal take is that my laptop is running the Windows 10 with which it was supplied and I expect it to last for longer than 2.5 years before it gives me out-of-support messages. It is imperative to have a maintained OS for well known security reasons. DELL are obliged to continue to provide "spares" (or "updates" in computer software terms) for a reasonable time. To cease to do this with a device that costs around £1000 is not reasonable, I am sure any judge would agree.

So DELL lets have your official line. If you endorse the generic driver download from Intel then tell us officially please.

Thank you.

In the meantime is there a track record of success with the generic driver?  

Thank you for joining this thread.   

Upon selecting the link you provided I am taken to a list of drivers.  I presume it is the first RST in the queue (Intel Rapid Storage Technology - User Interface & Driver) that I would select?

Also if I select that first option I am taken to the Available downloads page.  On that page I am at a loss as to which option to choose:  SetupRST.exe OR SetupOptaneMemory.ex  OR f6flpy-64.zip.   

I would assume I am selecting the first option on this page as well?  As stated I am not computer savvy and fearful of doing something boneheaded.  (which is why we rely on the updated drivers on Dell page).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Ondero
1 Copper

@jkdelllaptopuser yes please do it as you described, (the .exe is what you need) and then please let us know if your PC is working! you will be our hero if you will try unofficial driver for us!

If update will pass and PC will still work normaly - try to copy something from one place to another on disk and check speed

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

CorkyC,

The driver normally gets released by the manufacturer & we test the same on our machines & release the same post making the changes if required as per our platform needs.

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Argentium

There are actually two issues here:

1. Updating RST (specifically the driver iaStorA.sys) to a non-problematic version. The versions of iaStorA.sys deemed problematic are between 15.1.0.1002 through 15.5.2.1053.

2. Once you update RST, the problematic iaStorA.sys may remain on your system still causing the standard method of upgrading to Win10 v1903 to fail as the installer still detects the existence of the bad driver.

What to do?

3. Open Device Manager > Storage Controllers > and double-click "Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller". This will bring up its Properties.

4. Click the "Driver" tab and then the "Driver Details" button. This will show you what driver is associated with the device. It should be iaStorA.sys. Go back to the "Driver" tab and verify that your version is within the range of the problematic ones.

5. For my XPS 9550 the latest RST driver that Dell has available is v15.7.5.1025 which is outside the problematic range. Although Microsoft is recommending v15.9.6.1044, they claim that v15.5.2.1054 or later should work. Check with your Dell driver downloads to see what version is available for your system and whether it is deemed acceptable.

6. If the Dell driver download site has an acceptable RSTversion for your system, download and install it.

7. Repeat steps #3 and #4. Check to see if iaStorA.sys has been replaced by another driver (possibly iaStorAVC.sys). If iaStorA.sys has been replaced as the driver for the "Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller" device, verify that the new driver has an acceptable version, then go to step #8.

If iaStorA.sys has not been replaced as the driver for the "Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller" device, verify that its version has been updated in Device Manager to an acceptable version. If not, punt. I don't know what to do.

8. If iaStorA.sys has been replaced, open File Explorer and go to the C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder. [NOTE: you may have to enable "View" > "Hidden items" in File Explorer to access this]. Scroll down to the drivers that start with "i" and see if iaStorA.sys still exists there. If yes, rename it to something else such as iaStorA.sys.OLD.

9. At this point you can resume the installation of v1903.

If you have not done so before, it is highly recommended that you do a complete system backup, using backup software such as Macrium Reflect, to an external USB hard drive. They have a "free" version.

JohnD