Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2018 05:00

XPS 13 9350, can't update BIOS

I tried to install the BIOS update (1.7) on my Dell XPS 13 9350. Since that day, the PC doesn't go to standby(it actually turns off and the reboot itself automatically) and the BIOS is still the earlier version. Does anyone know how to install this update?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 17th, 2018 11:00

There was a time that new systems came with lifetime technical support - - 15 or more years ago when the average selling price of a notebook hovered around $2,500 and manufacturers could afford to provide that.  Now, that price point is a memory -- as is lifetime support.  With everyone EXCEPT Apple, you get free support for the duration of the warranty.  Despite having the highest industry prices, Apple is stingier - you get 90 days from the first support call.  As with your Dell now, everything after that is pay per incident.

It does sound like the system board is at fault here - which won't be an inexpensive repair, but it'll still cost you half of what it would on a Macbook (Apple's charge for a "logic board" - aka mainboard -- replacement is about $1,200.  

It's your call as to whether you repair or replace, but if you replace - next time get that 3-year warranty.  Doesn't matter whose name is on the outside -- all notebooks have a relatively high percentage of failures.  With the new Macbooks, there's a double imperative - the cost AND the fact that newer Apple systems can ONLY be repaired by Apple authorized shops - which charge $700 for a keyboard, $1,200 for a logic board, etc.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 14th, 2018 18:00

:BigSmile:

Which BIOS version is on the system as of now? 

22 Posts

April 21st, 2018 17:00

In my case, the issue was caused by updating bios to 1.6.1, I believe. I managed to downgrade to original bios 1.4.17; though the issues still persist.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2018 04:00

I managed to downgrade the BIOS to the 1.4.12 version and the tried ti update the BIOS again but the PC starts the procedure and when It reboots nothing gas changed😭

5 Posts

August 4th, 2018 19:00

This is the same problem I am having with my XPS 9550 after updating to BIOS 1.7.0. My laptop will no longer sleep and it doesn't start up unless I let it sit for a while after it's been on. I did a bios recovery to a few older versions including the one I came from and the problem persists. Dell won't work with me unless I pay because I was one month out of warranty.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2018 22:00

So did anyone here end up with a solution to this problem?

5 Posts

September 23rd, 2018 06:00

Just a refurbished motherboard. Dell forced me to pay the repair fee. I pointed them to this thread and another one and they said there would be thousands of people with this problem if it was a bad BIOS update.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2018 16:00

I have probably the same problem. After updating to BIOS 1.6.1 I cannot update further (1.7 nor the new 1.9) nor downgrade. Since the 1.6.1 BIOS my laptop has also had the problem of randomly turning on, with seemingly no provocation. Plugged in, not plugged in, even when completely shut down it will power up for no apparent reason. This is a really big issue because it will turn on when inside my bag and probably the heat is not good for it.

They refuse to help me as well saying that because I'm not under warranty they can't help me. It's your BIOS update that did this, not even the cost of hardware replacement, Dell. It's just really terrible customer service to not support your own BIOS releases.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2018 09:00

I have had the same issues after updating the bios in March. My XPS13 9350 does not proceed with the update to the latest bios. After that failed update I have experienced 2 times a problem to start my PC after it has been loaded. The only solution is to open it, detach the cable from the battery and restart it a few times so that the accumulated energy disappears. Also the computer non longer can go correctly in standby note when on battery. I actually lose the updates not saved on office documents! 

Terrible to have an unreliable PC that 2 years ago cost 2K€!

I am wondering what to do. Is it a problem of the motherboard? I found out that with Dell there is no technical support when the PC goes out of the warranty period. This is not correct. Things like not being able to update the BIOS, which is a serious security issue should continue to be their problem. And, above all, all my problems started with a failed update from their BIOS!

Other producers seem to be much more customer friendly. One I had an Apple assistant who solved on the phone a problem for an IMAC that was already out of warranty for many years!

Any reccomendations to solve my problem? Or should I just replace my Dell with an Apple or a MS Surface?

7 Posts

February 29th, 2020 08:00

Good day, how did you manage to update the BIOS firmware to 1.4.1? If you upgrade to 1.6.1, then you can't downgrade it

No Events found!