ccrows
1 Copper

XPS 13 9350 disconnecting from wifi frequently

Hi. So, I've had this computer for almost 2 years now.

Recently the battery started swelling and I took it out and ordered a replacement, and have been using the laptop without a battery (plugged in) for the last few days until the new battery arrives. 

However, ever since I removed the battery, the wifi connection has been TERRIBLE. It frequently disconnects, sometimes even every few minutes, and I usually have only 1 or 2 bars where I used to have full signal. When it disconnects though, the bars remain in the icon (it doesn't turn into the "offline" or "problem" symbol), but nothing will load, browsers tell me I have no internet, etc. and this persists until I disconnect and then reconnect to the network. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but the "connect automatically" button won't stay checked. Every time I disconnect, I check the button, and then next time I have to connect it's come unchecked again. The network driver is up to date. 

This is super frustrating and makes gaming and calling with friends online basically impossible. Is it somehow possible that when I opened up the laptop to remove the battery, it affected the wifi card or something? This issue only started right after that, and I've never had this problem before in the 2 years I've had this laptop. If anyone can give me any help, it would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies

Re: XPS 13 9350 disconnecting from wifi frequently

ccrows,

Click the link below to watch the YouTube video on how to resolve the wifi disconnect issue. This is not a Dell video but, it is informative and helpful.

FIX: WiFi Keeps Disconnecting

Follow these steps
 Change the power management
1) Right-click your WiFi icon at the bottom right corner of your PC desktop and click Open Network and Sharing Center.
2) Click Change adapter settings.
3) Right-click your WiFi adapter and click Properties.
4) Click Configure.
5) Go to the Power Management tab. Un-tick the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK.

* For my notes, send me via Private Message the Service tag number,your name, address, phone number and email address
* Go to the top of this thread
* Click the Envelope
* Click the blue "New Message" box
* Paste my name DELL-Jesse L into the "Send to" blank
* Click my icon. My name should now be listed in the "Send to" blank
* Message Subject =
* Message Body =

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
VMP231
1 Copper

I had the same problem.  I updated the BIOS and drivers, but until I replaced the Wifi card, nothing worked.  Just replace the card.   I ordered a  Intel 8260 IEEE 802.11ac - Wi-Fi Adapter from Amazon and it works great in my 9350. 

0 Kudos
wsemaj2
1 Copper

Hello, I am also having frequent issues with my dell xps 13 disconnecting from WiFi for no apparent reason. I tried to follow your steps outlined above, but when I right-click my network adapter, there is no “power management” tab. Can you please advise?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi wsemaj2,

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Connecting and Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity Issues on Your Dell Computer

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos