ScottW89
1 Copper

XPS 13 9350 only turns on when charger connected

I recently swapped the battery in my XPS 13 9350 due to a fat battery.

Since then, the battery works perfectly - charges, and holds charge as it did when it was new.

The only issue I'm encountering is that the laptop won't turn on in the first instance if the charger isn't connected.

Once it does turn on, even when at the 'Dell' boot page, i can remove the charger and it stays turned on.

I've removed the battery and the CMOS battery and held power button for 30+ secs to drain 'flea' power and it makes no difference. Running the inbuilt diagnostics on boot shows no issue with power, and in system configuration shows the battery health as "Excellent".

Not being able to turn it on without it being connected to power sometimes defeats the object.

Any idea's?

Thanks.

Labels (5)
10 Replies
ScottW89
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9350 only turns on when charger connected

Does anybody have any suggestions on this please?

0 Kudos
K_j_b
1 Copper

I have the exact same problem with my XPS 9370. When the system goes into sleep (or so) it does not wake up, when pressing power unless the charger is plugged it. The keyboard lighting flashes up for about a few seconds, then fade out again.

0 Kudos
kisscoool18
1 Copper

0 Kudos
terryalan
1 Copper

I have exactly the same issue and it remains. My original battery swelled up and stopped holding a charge, I replaced it with one I purchased from Amazon and the battery charges, holds it's charge, but I can not power on the laptop without the AC adapter or docking port connected. 

I read somewhere that it might be because the battery is not an original from Dell? 

Have you had any success.

0 Kudos
kisscoool18
1 Copper

I have this problem with an official/original Dell battery...

Dell changed the battery twice on this laptop because at some point it was saying "not a Dell battery" and wouldn't charge it at all...

0 Kudos
ScottW89
1 Copper

Still no success for me - so frustrating, it only needs to be connected to mains power for 1 second whilst i push the power button, then I unplug the AC and it stays turned on.

Such great inconvenience for such a small thing. Annoyed 

0 Kudos
BrentMcP
1 Copper

Ive got the same problem.  Installed a new battery so that I could use it as a laptop but can only turn it on when connected to a power supply.  Hoping someone comes up with a solution.  Very annoying as there was no point purchasing a new battery.

0 Kudos
ScottW89
1 Copper

Did you get a genuine Dell battery? I didn't, i used a brand new "2-Power" battery and i'm wondering if that could be the issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Brittneycull
1 Copper

Issue since March Re: XPS 13 9350 only turns on when charger connected

Hi! I've had similar issues to all users on this thread. I got my dell xps 13 in 2018 ad had no problems initially. In March 2019 my computer stopped charging past 31%. It also will not boot up or function when running if it isn't plugged in. AlI of the lights turn off including the screen. I have restarted it. I want to say it is a charger or battery issue, but I don't want to buy parts when I've had the computer for less than a year. I've always purchased dell laptops because of their wonderful treatment of customers during the warranty phase. My uncle worked for Dell many years ago and my family has used their products since. However, I have been having trouble with this since March and haven't seen anything posted that could help. I'm getting very frustrated. Every diagnostic says the xps 13 is in excellent condition, but its not like I can run a diagnostic when the computer won't turn on. Apple isn't looking so ludicrously expensive for a functioning laptop.

0 Kudos