Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:04

January 21st, 2018 14:00

Same thing is happening to my Dell 9350...Bios update is blocked.  This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last couple days

1 Message

January 21st, 2018 17:00

Same equipment.  Same problem.

Advice and/or fix would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Message

January 21st, 2018 17:00

I have a friend who just called me about the same error on her XPS 13. 

1 Message

January 21st, 2018 18:00

Same thing happened today to my Dell 9350...said it needed a BIOS update. Freaked me out when the big red writing of "Bios update is blocked" came up!

Keen to understand if there is an actual issue that I need to resolve, or if I should stop worrying :-)

3 Posts

January 21st, 2018 19:00

Add me to the list of victims.  Same laptop, same issue, same time period.  Over and over and....

January 21st, 2018 23:00

Me too.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2018 01:00

Me too - daily prompts appearing telling me to do it whilst getting a red flag from the Norton system.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 03:00

Another one exactly the same as the original poster

1 Message

January 22nd, 2018 04:00

Me too on my 9360.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 07:00

Has anyone received any info on how to get rid of this infuriating problem. Dell support, Dell support, is anyone home?

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 07:00

Me too, this morning. Exactly the same (Same error message, same start point) except that my XPS13 (9350) is now in an endless windows repair loop.Am trying various Windows repairs, so far without success. When I pressed F2 for boot options, it showed the BIOS version as 1.6.1

Definitely needs a solution ! How can a DELL official BIOS upgrade, on a system which is always bang up to date with upgrades, cause such a problem ?

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 10:00

I spoke with someone at dell and they told me that it is a problem with Intel that they're working on.  As the support person started to walk me through how to turn off dell update temporarily, the phone connection went dead!

I went into msconfig and turned off dell notifications but it had no effect so I turned it back on.  I will say that I haven't seen the bios alert today (9/22)... yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with the patch attempts related to the recently exposed chipset hack vulnerabilities.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2018 11:00

Me too.

247 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 13:00

Well apparently Dell pushed out these Spectre firmware fixes too fast without much testing. Users have had lot's of reboots and no boots so Dell pulled some of the bios updates. Well then you have these blocks so you can't downgrade either and Dell I guess has to deal with Intel on what to do next for those who did the bios updates. I have even tried the bios reset option where you shut down PC, hold ctrl + Esc then plug in AC adaptor holding Ctrl + Esc until you see bios recovery menu. But this does nothing with my Inspiron 5567 so I doubt anything will work. The bios must contain something that prevents downgrades. This whole thing is really a mess, going to be awhile before stuff get's worked out I guess. Might just have to wait for yet another bios update to work out the bad code. 

1 Message

January 22nd, 2018 15:00

My laptop doesn’t want to boot after that update. Cant find a way to reboot it and im panicking. All my work is on the computer and now I cant even access it. Tried all the booting tricks nothing seems to work. Help plzz
No Events found!