Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Message

April 17th, 2020 23:00

XPS 13 9350, screen goes black?

Hi,

Lately, I got an issue with streaming in full-screen mode. Sometimes it works well, but usually goes black for 3-5 seconds, goes back to stream OK, then again goes black. It's annoying.

Screen go black sometimes when 1) in full screen mode 2) unplugged from power

This issue appears *only* in full-screen mode, and *only* on battery mode when the laptop isn't connected to the electricity.

I love my machine and don't have critical problems with it in years. I think this issue started after the last time my Dell support/assist updated my drivers (it reported "critical updates" of both display adapter and power). So it's probably something about this update.

My display adaptor is Intel HD Graphics 520 - driver version - 26.20.100.7263 (I don't have roll back option, I gues not enough space on my hard drive).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 Message

April 18th, 2020 12:00

I've been having the same issue for the past couple weeks and would appreciate any input as well.  I saw another thread where some had reinstalled audio drivers and that appeared to fix it, however no luck on my end.  Love my machine as well and haven't had any issues. Wondering if it's a result of an update as well.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 13th, 2020 09:00

You mentioned, "streaming". This implies that you may be using a browser to view the streaming video.

Disable the browser Hardware Acceleration or Software Rendering and retest

Chrome
Internet Explorer
Edge

25 Posts

May 15th, 2020 03:00

Booting into safe mode allowed the screen to function but at a lower resolution without the GPU functioning. Then disabling the video driver and booting normally also allowed the screen to function, but again without the GPU functioning. Any attempt to re-enable the video driver either in Device Manager or re-installing the video driver caused the screen to immediately go black.

I unplugged, removed the bottom panel, removed the battery, held down the power button for a couple of minutes, then plugged in, started up, and was able to enable the video driver without the screen going black. Then shut down, put the battery back in, closed it up, and I haven't had the problem since.

My understanding is that this procedure drains accumulated static charge that can be interfering with proper functionality, in this case, presumably the GPU. Safe mode worked because it doesn't load the video driver and thus doesn't use the GPU.

Unfortunately removing the battery on this laptop requires opening it up, which should be done with the right tools (Torx T5 wrench and small Phillips) and great care to avoid damaging. The service manual explains how this should be done.

No Events found!