Highlighted
moonjonah
2 Bronze

XPS 13 9350 turns on by itself

When I put the laptop to sleep or shut it down, it turns on by itself randomly, draining the battery when not plugged in. This does not happen every time but it does occur often. I leave the laptop in my backpack and when I pull it out during these occasions, it is very warm because it has been on. Sometimes when I try to shut it down, it just keeps restarting. Any solutions? Thank you.

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Re: XPS 13 9350 turns on by itself

moonjonah,

Go into the settings-power and sleep-additional power settings. From here select from the left column, choose what closing the lid does. Here is where you can change the settings to meet your requirements.

0 Kudos
moonjonah
2 Bronze

Thank you for the quick reply but I have already checked those settings and they are set to go to sleep when the laptop lid is closed. There is no setting where it says to keep restarting instead of shutting down.

0 Kudos

Hit F2 when you see the Dell logo booting up and enter into setup. Load Defaults (usually F9) Save changes and exit (usually F10)

0 Kudos
moonjonah
2 Bronze

What do I look for in there? I checked the settings to turn on through LAN but they were off, am I missing something?

0 Kudos

Setting the wake up on lan to off was what I was attempting to disable by loading defaults.

0 Kudos
xyvyx
1 Copper

Dell has been avoiding this issue for years.  

Has there been a recent BIOS update of any kind to address this?  If not, it's safe to say Dell has neither the desire or ability to diagnose & fix this issue.  Unless something has changed, none of the BIOS power/wake settings nor those within windows have any impact on this issue.

0 Kudos
samos1111
3 Zinc

I wouldn't say avoiding but can't solve. Sleep issues are difficult to debug, and I guess this doesn't happen to many, otherwise there'd be more complaints here. I guess there may be several bugs not just one. There have been a few driver updates mentioning sleep. Some claim this was caused by wireless mice dongles etc. Check powercfg options (in admin cmd window) if you have any "wake armed" devices. Check Event log / System if a wake cause is listed (if you see it you can likely resolve it, the troublesome value is "none"). In my case with the 9550, the problem was failing to properly carry out the auto switch-over from Sleep to Hibernate after a preset time - worked around by setting "Hibernate after" in advanced power profile option to "Never" (0). Resetting / reflashing BIOS helps sometimes. I think windows update can also wake up the computer outside "office hours" to apply the updates. 

0 Kudos
MCorvinus
1 Copper

I've got exactly the same problem with a 9350. Is there any statement of Dell that they are aware of the issue and try to fix it. Else my next laptop won't be a Dell.
0 Kudos
Mihindu
1 Copper

i had the problem for long time on my xps9350 running Windows 10. I had installed all latest drivers and bios updates but problem remained. But i randomly found a solution that resolved the issue forever. 

Sketch.pngjust un-check following checkbox