Highlighted
Intel4004
1 Nickel

XPS 13 (9360) Blue screening with TB16

I'm not absolutely sure yet as I've used my XPS little but since rigging it up to the TB16 dock (2 ext monitors, wireless keyboard & mouse) I've been experiencing blue screening which happens after I wake it up from sleep. I've now disabled sleep and will use hibernate to see if this makes any difference.

0120191927.jpg

Before connecting the dock I installed the following drivers...

Annotation 2019-01-20 231811.jpg

In addition when I run the Dell Firmware Update Utility for the Dock I get "Asmedia usb 3.0 host controller firmware update failed." I'm sure this could be the issue but no idea yet how to resolve this. Is there an order to installing the drivers above or  am I missing something else?

Anyone have any ideas how I can resolve this please?

11 Replies
rbluethl
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 (9360) Blue screening with TB16

Hello there,

I have EXACTLY the same problem with my XPS 13 9360.

This is really a blocker since I'm not able to work even a few minutes without experiencing a blue screen.

What can we do?

0 Kudos
Intel4004
1 Nickel

I bought mine off of Ebay so a little bit of me is wondering if it's a dud but I'm seeing so many other people who've got new and having the exact same problem. I've come to the conclusion this down to the design of the TB16. But I'm hopeful there is a solution out there. Mine is only an issue it seems when it comes back from sleep mode but I will keep this thread posted if that changes, for now I use hibernate not sleep.

0 Kudos

Interesting that CDW online shows that the TB16 has been discontinued since 1/20/19. Wonder if by chance because it had too many issues?? 

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

@Intel4004 wrote:

I've been experiencing blue screening which happens after I wake it up from sleep.

Before connecting the dock I installed the following drivers...In addition when I run the Dell Firmware Update Utility for the Dock I get "Asmedia usb 3.0 host controller firmware update failed." I'm sure this could be the issue but no idea yet how to resolve this. Is there an order to installing the drivers above or  am I missing something else?

I will be testing my 9365 with the TB 16 but you say it only happens when it comes out of sleep.  Do you actually mean low power mode or hibernation, since it doesn't sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Intel4004
1 Nickel

Could you explain what you mean by "since it doesn't sleep"  All computers have a sleep mode!

If I use sleep mode I get the DMA error causing the bluescreen. So the drivers for the TB16 afaic are the issue. I've been using the hibernate mode with no problems. On one occasion the intel display software completely forgot my external monitors setup/or reset it so on a cold boot I had to reassign the two external monitors and disable the built in screen again.

I get the feeling Dell have washed their hands of the issues and will move on. With the TB16 they should have taken the opportunity to overhaul the design and recode but obviously didn't hence the botch job.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

The 9360 is a modern standby system and does not behave exactly as other laptops. It can be confusing if you are expecting a system to just have the screen turned off but actually it is in a low power mode and simply hitting the space bar will bring it back. Some operations do use the sleep timer so you might try changing that. I tested my system with the dock and could not replicate the errors.

I do not have two monitors but did plug in the Ethernet and USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices and let it go into low power mode and brought it back. Since I cannot duplicate your two monitor setup, perhaps you could run with just one or none for testing.

I think you mentioned you have all the latest Thunderbolt and other TB16 components. There was a Win 10 update today and you can never tell if it might have an effect. If you can test for a specific component by not using it for a while, you might be able to pin down where the problem is happening.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Intel4004
1 Nickel

The 9360 is a modern standby system and does not behave exactly as other laptops. It can be confusing if you are expecting a system to just have the screen turned off but actually it is in a low power mode and simply hitting the space bar will bring it back. Some operations do use the sleep timer so you might try changing that. I tested my system with the dock and could not replicate the errors.

To me you've just described sleep mode. A link explaining would help.

Some operations do use the sleep timer so you might try changing that.

How can one operation use sleep and another not, confused.

I do not have two monitors but did plug in the Ethernet and USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices and let it go into low power mode and brought it back.

Simples, just choose the sleep option in the start menu and then press the power button on the TB16 to wake.

I think you mentioned you have all the latest Thunderbolt and other TB16 components.

No I didn't. In my original post I stated...

In addition when I run the Dell Firmware Update Utility for the Dock I get "Asmedia usb 3.0 host controller firmware update failed."

Asmedia usb 3.0 host controller is responsible for everything apart from video coming out of the TB16 so if I could solve this it may be the answer.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

@Intel4004 wrote:

To me you've just described sleep mode. A link explaining would help.

Asmedia usb 3.0 host controller is responsible for everything apart from video coming out of the TB16 so if I could solve this it may be the answer.

This an old video but describes how it works.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Mechanics/Understanding-Surface-Power-Management-with-Modern-Standby...

There are drivers for the Ethernet and the Sound so the ASmedia driver is important because USB - C and probably USB devices.  I do not know why your Asmedia driver is not installing.  You install those drivers without the dock connected?  The driver version is the same as on my 9365.  You could try uninstalling the driver, it will probably show up if you set Device Manager to show hidden devices.

One thing I do not do is allow devices as you go.  My system is set up to use the devices I have.  Probably, in an Enterprise situation it is necessary to verify devices.

Again, if you are getting dump files you may want to make them available. 

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Well, Windows is currently trying to give me a driver for the ASMedia USB which is older than the one from Dell (1.16.50.1). I will let you know if that install fails.

Edit:  I have two USB C ports (only one is Thunderbolt) so right now in Device manager I am showing the ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible controller and one ASMedia Root hub with 1.16.55.1 and one ASMedia Root Hub with 1.16.50.1

I do not know if the Win 10 Cumulative update from Tuesday evening (KB4476976) effected any of this.

0 Kudos