Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2019 08:00

XPS 13 (9360) Plugged in not charging Adapter not recognized

I went to charge my XPS 13 9360 this evening and found the official Dell power adapter is not being recognized. The device is plugged in but not charging. It's barely even a year old and the battery is in great condition. I have tried 

- plugging directly in to the wall (as opposed to powerboard)

- turning off and on again 

- changing power settings to Standard 

- straighening out as best I can a kinds wonky pin in the power port, idk if it's an issue or not. It's still not perfect but I don't believe the pins are touching anything they shouldn't. 

The last updates installed before issue started were a few Definition Updates for Windows Defender Antivirus. 

BIOS Version/Date :  Dell Inc. 2.9.0.  9/7/10

BIOS Mode UEFI

January 3rd, 2019 17:00

UPDATE

I called Dell yesterday (and spoke to an Aussie!). They sent a support technician out today (to my house!) and replaced the charger port. The new port looks a lot different to the old one, so it looks like I've lost a bit of plastic from inside somehow. Here are some before and after pics in case anyone a little clueless like myself has a similar issue. Click for pics

Thanks, everyone who took the time to read my post and offer their suggestions!

January 2nd, 2019 17:00

I might call Dell support today but I'm not sure how much that will help. 

I'm also considering getting a USB C charger to see if that works around the issue but I'd hate to buy one if it doesn't work... Has anyone else has success with this issue? 

Does anyone know if this is an issue that's being solved in the next update or something? 

• 

16.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 04:00

cactusbythewindow,

Click the links below for information resolving the adapter issue.

How to fix AC Adapter- Dell Video

System Battery Shows "Plugged in Not Charging" When You Hover Over the Battery Icon

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2019 11:00

I have the same problem which started immediately after the last BIOS update. I have two of the original small power adapters plus the one from my D3100 dock, none of which now work with my 9360. This is NOT an adapter problem but a fault in the BIOS. I'm going to try to revert to the previous version as soon as I have some spare time.

January 3rd, 2019 17:00

Hey Snapshot-JH,

Turns out my issue really was the charging port. I had a technician come out to my house to replace it. I've included some before and after pics in my update post as I'm not sure how to describe the problem :) 

I hope you find a solution to your problem soon! I've heard some people say they managed to charge it from the UBC C port when they've had similar issues.

March 30th, 2019 18:00

I've had the same problem. Replaced the charger. No help. Replaced the power port. No help. Replaced the motherboard. Helped for about 8 months. There is some fundamental problem with this laptop. Why is this such a common problem. I hope your fix lasts longer than mine did. Apart from this issue, I love this laptop, but Dell doesn't seem to have a fix. I did try downgrading the BIOS, but it didn't resolve the problem.

March 30th, 2019 22:00

I think your problem may be different from mine. My issue was definitely caused by the inner doughnut-shaped cylinder inside the charging port breaking / falling out. I realised the obvious nature of my issue when I saw the before/after difference once the port was replaced. As soon as this was replaced, I was able to successfully charge again.

I think maybe a few days later I had a scare where I couldn't get it to charge again, not sure why, but it wasn't long before it started working again. Rarely, I will occasionally plug in the adapter and get the dreaded "plugged in, not charging, adapter not recognized", but this is usually because a component of the charger isn't connected properly and can be fixed by unplugging the charger and checking everything is plugged back in properly.

** Disclaimer: I am not an expert on laptop problems and repairs, warranties or consumer protection law, please make sure to research for yourself or talk to an expert about the advice I give below. **

If you haven't already, you could look into is whether or not getting the type-c charger could solve your problem. I was considering getting the type-c adapter as a backup charger in case I have another problem or need a second charger. I found a Dell type-C 45W power adapter on their US and Canadian sites that says it's made for the XPS 9360, but I couldn't find it on their Australian site for some reason. If you do give this a try I would recommend making sure you get an official Dell charger that is designed for your laptop as I've seen many people having issues with third-party chargers not working. 

I'd also see if you can get it in writing that Dell will let you return the charger if it doesn't work, or cover the cost of it under the laptop's warranty. I know I'd be really upset to waste $60-$80 on a charger that didn't solve such a frustrating ongoing issue.

Honestly though, after everything that you've been through with this problem, it sounds like you might have ended up with a defective laptop. I would be trying to get a replacement laptop from Dell if you've still got it under warranty. Even if it's out of warranty, if you have documentation the issue arose while it was in warranty and never resolved it might be worth fighting. In Australia, we have consumer protection laws that protect consumers rights to refund, replacement and repair faulty goods and services. If Dell refuses to help you, see if your country has a consumer protection agency that can help you.

1 Message

April 21st, 2019 06:00

Hi

Although it sounds as if you've had a good outcome and the problem is solved for you by physically replacing the charging port, I am not convinced that this is a universal solution to this issue for this PC.

My Dell XPS 13 (9360) is by far and away the best laptop I've ever had and I've been using laptops for over 20 years so I've had a few. I cannot recall having had any issues with this laptop....until this week.... 

All of a sudden, my laptop starting booting into BIOS with a warning that the power and wattage of the ac adapter could not be determined and that the performance would be adjusted to the power available. The AC adapter has worked fine up until now, there is no visible damage to it and the led indicator on the cable is steady and not flickering.  The only thing that has occured immediately leading up the start of the symptoms is a BIOS update that was pushed out and installed mid-week. Therefore I suspect that this has caused an issue. Problem I now have is that I cannot flash the BIOS as my battery is completely drained (needs to be > 10 % to flash the bios)

Has anyone had the same issue and if so - is there a fix?

best laptop I've had... until now....

I have tried;

Plugged in AC adapter in different room to no effect

Plugged in AC adapter directly in wall socket to no effect

Plugged into my Dell docking station instead of AC adapter using the usb-c connector to no effect.

I  have tried to reset BIOS to system settings and to factory default settings.

I have tried to uninstall the ACPI-compliant control method battery from device manager and re-install to no effect.

Tom

1 Message

June 11th, 2019 22:00

I just wish there was a fix for the AC power adaptor type cannot be determined message. This laptop will be the last Dell I buy if I have to shell out significant money to fix it. I love this computer, but the whole "you MUST ONLY BUY A DELL CHARGER nonsense makes me feel nickel and dimed.  

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 12th, 2019 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Chrominus 

Most of the time it is caused by dirty contacts.

Try inserting and removing a few times.

Try spinning the jack while it is inserted.

If you have a "SMART" power system then you should always purchase "OEM Original" AC adapters and Batteries.

If your DC jack has a center pin then you have a "SMART" power system.

IMG_4901#2.jpg

Dell is not the only one that uses "SMART" power systems.

HP, IBM, Acer, Samsung etc. all have "SMART" power systems.

Best regards,

U2

247 Posts

July 11th, 2019 14:00

I have to wonder if this isn’t tied into the problems with battery issues and when I had mine charging and using it the bottom would get very warm. I finally traded mine in before more went wrong I had hinge issues, over heating, and was worried about battery problems like the 9350. It’s really a nice notebook too bad Dell got some things wrong in quality I guess. You pay a premium for things not to go wrong.

1 Message

August 18th, 2019 04:00

Hi,

I face the same problem: The power plug came apart: the plastic cylinder inside the DC plug is broken.

Unfortunately, when I called Dell for service (the laptop is covered with 3-year warranty), they rejected me, claiming that the damage is due to improper use.

My case is identical to cactusbythewindow's, whose case has been resolved by Dell

Any idea whom should I refer to in Dell?

Much obliged,

Gabi 

Dell XPS 13 9360 power plug.jpg

1 Message

September 24th, 2019 18:00

I finally solved the  "plugged in, not charging" problem on my XPS 13 L322x by replacing the receptacle for power adapter inside of the laptop. The DC Power Jack Harness Cable with 5-Pin Socket (Part #: DD0D13AD000) was about $7 on ebay and I needed a 6-tip Torx screwdriver to open the laptop. 

1 Message

October 24th, 2019 09:00

I have a 9360. Didn't charge on USB3 or the original standard charger. Nothing physically wrong with the charge port.

Battery health reported as good.

Saw another post somewhere that said they had same symptoms. They noticed that the track pad had bulged up a little so they changed the battery and it started charging with no further problems.

My machine battery looked fine but changed it anyway. Started charging properly immediately after that.

1 Message

October 29th, 2019 13:00

XPS 13 (9360) Plugged in not charging

No Events found!