Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2018 07:00

XPS 13 9360 Random Reboots

Hello, 

Yesterday I purchase a new Dell XPS 13 9360 with i5-8250U. After a few hours of use my laptop starts to reboot randomly. I read other topics about Bios versions but I don't have the knowledge how to fix it. My bios version is 2.3.1. Any idea about what to do?

Thanks,

5 Posts

March 26th, 2018 06:00

I update my Bios but the problem did not solved. So I called Dell Support, they gave me a list of drivers to download and install them in a specific order. I installed them, until now I didn't have any restart. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

March 25th, 2018 08:00

The XPS 9360 uses 7000-series CPUs -- the system that comes with the 8000 series is the 9370.  The BIOS for the 9370 that's current is 1.2.1.

The current 9360 BIOS is 2.6.2.

First, determine which model you have and if the BIOS is not current, update it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, and the system is brand new, your best bet is to contact Dell and exchange it for a working system - there is little sense troubleshooting and repairing a brand new system that's defective out of the box.

5 Posts

March 25th, 2018 09:00

Hello ejn63,
https://ibb.co/bypoh7
You can see that I have 9360 with 8000 series.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

March 25th, 2018 12:00

It looks like you already have the latest BIOS for that system, so that's not the issue.

The question is, what's causing the reboots.  You may want to turn OFF the automatic reboot on failure -- see here:

That will cause the system to blue-screen and write an event to the event log (start-run-eventvwr.msc) so you can review what might be causing the problem.  If you've added any software since receiving the system, that'd be the first suspect.

It's up to you whether to troubleshoot or ask for a replacement - just realize you have 30 days from the date of shipment from Dell to do so.

Go to the system applet, under Advanced, then Startup and Recovery.  Uncheck the "automatic restart", save and reboot.  The next time an error happens you should see a blue screen.  Then review the event viewer to see what caused the issue.

5 Posts

Hi EJN63,

Actually I see that the latest version of bios is 2.6.2 (I have 2.3.1) and the importance is Urgent and the release date is 22 March 2018. So if I upgrade my bios probably I will solve my problem? Also, about the software that I install is only Google Chrome and VLC media player.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:BigSmile:

Please view video in link below to safety installed the latest System Setup(BIOS):

How to Update BIOS (Official Dell Tech Support)

Warning: Do not turn off your computer or disconnect from your power source while updating the BIOS or you may harm your computer. During the update, your computer will restart and you will briefly see a black screen. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

It's worth a try - but do a restart immediately before trying the BIOS update to ensure the system doesn't crash in the middle of the update.

]

5 Posts

Hello LSUFAN51,

So is it better to update the BIOS or to ask for a replace? If I replace it I will have the same issues?

Thanks,

No Events found!