Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2018 16:00

XPS 13 9360, USB Type-C charging

I am able to charge my Dell XPS 9360 via USB C connected to a Dell U3818DW monitor. I have heard about issues with USB C charging frying outlets. I was wondering if this is safe? Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Best,

Matt

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 9th, 2018 20:00

I mean, theoretically sure it COULD be a problem, but I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I haven’t heard of any problems with Dell cables, and although in fairness I haven’t been looking for them either, the USB-C safety hazard stuff was also a while ago now, and I would think/hope that if everything in your device chain comes from a reputable vendor, then by now you should be good to go. Yes, even some of the equipment implicated earlier came from trusted vendors, but again there’s been ample time for them to revise their products, which they would have done out of concern for their reputation.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 9th, 2018 16:00

Frying outlets? There were stories about low quality chargers frying themselves or the device you were charging, but a standard US household outlet can supply 1800W, well above USB-C’s official max of 100W. Can’t answer whether that particular display has any known charging hazards though.

2 Posts

June 9th, 2018 18:00

Sorry outlet was very sloppy language on my part. I meant could I fry the USB C port, either on the computer or on the monitor. I am using the Dell USB C to C cable provided so I assumed that it is safe but to your point I had heard about issues with cheaply made cables causing issues previously and wanted to know if this could be a problem.

No Events found!