Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

96 Posts

April 6th, 2019 11:00

XPS 13 9360 - Windows 10 IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

OK i have a peculiar problem here.
XPS 13 9360 - WIndows 10 Home 64 bit 1809 (17763.404)
all available updates installed (via dell support tool and windows update)

laptop was running fine, no errors or crashes. i decided to do a wipe and manual re-install (ie download windows 10 ISO, wipe HDD completely and re-install using ISO). there was no reason for me to do this other than i like to do a clean install every now and then just to get rid of any of the rubbish that i might have installed/uninstalled over the previous year. again, i'll re-iterate the laptop had zero issues beforehand.

now i'm getting quite regular "blue screen" crashes with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.
just before this happens the system freezes, if audio is playing then it freezes on that sounds and loops it continually until the "gathering information" part of the crash has completed.

there doesn't seem to be a consistent way to reproduce this. it's, to the naked eye, totally random.
i can be sitting watching a youtube video, and all of a sudden it'll kick in. other times just browsing a random website (with just text on it) and again it'll kick in. i don't play games on the laptop, 99% of the usage is web based, be it youtube, forums etc.. nothing strenuous.

some days it'll happen 2 or 3 times. other days it won't happen at all.

my thinking is that it's a driver issue somewhere? it certainly doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. if it was a hardware issue then it's a huge coincidence that it's happened right at the same time as an OS re-install.

any thoughts/suggestions as to the possible culprit?

IMG_20190330_160558.jpg

96 Posts

dell support assist shows the following

Annotation 2019-04-06 194124.jpg

96 Posts

dell support assistant error log shows Bug check code 0x0000000a Bug check parameters 0xfffffafd40000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff804704c8780 Device name Microsoft Storage Port Driver Driver version 10.0.17763.292 (WinBuild.160101.0800) Driver path C:\Windows\System32\drivers\storport.sys

96 Posts

initial investigation may suggest it's a chipset driver issue?

96 Posts

April 8th, 2019 00:00

no input from the community?

9.4K Posts

April 9th, 2019 03:00

Hi chenks76,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.  Your post says you downloaded a Windows 10 ISO, but does not say where you got it.  Were you unable to make the system restore back up disks when you initially set up the computer?  You can download the software that came with your computer from the Dell digital locker.  

From the description and the error messages posted, it's possible that the OS is corrupted.  Please try to download and install a fresh copy of the ISO from the locker to see the issues continue.

96 Posts

April 9th, 2019 03:00

the ISO came from the Microsoft website.
I chose not to so a "system restore" as i specifically wanted a "clean" windows install.

the OS is not corrupted, this is a driver issue.

9.4K Posts

April 9th, 2019 05:00

Yes, it is a Windows driver error.  You would have to obtain the driver from Microsoft.  The best way to do this is with a "clean" install.  It appears your copy of the ISO may be corrupted.  Looks like your system is unable to get the driver from the ISO you have, and install it.

96 Posts

April 9th, 2019 06:00

i can only repeat what i've already posted.

you say the best way to do this is with a clean instal - that's what i've already done!
you again say the ISO may be corrupted - it's not corrupted, it's not an ISO image issue.

windows update says no new drivers or updates are available
dell support assistant says no new drivers or updates are available.

so if all my drivers are up to date and correct, according to both windows and dell, then what driver needs updating? and to which version?

i'm sorry but i don't think you actually grasp how driver installations work. the fact you say "Looks like your system is unable to get the driver from the ISO you have, and install it." only confirms that. the ISO has nothing to do with it. the drivers come from either dell support assist or windows update.

No Events found!