Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2018 04:00

XPS 13 9365 2 in 1 - Touchscreen not working, but Active Pen works...

Hi,

I've had my XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 for about a month now. Recently I started noticing that the touch function on the QHD+ screen didn't always come back when the computer resumed from sleep and would require a power cycle (power down - power on) to come back - simply restarting the system did not help. 

Today, I've booted up from power off and the touchscreen doesn't work at all. I've power cycled a number of times and still nothing.

Device manager shows the device with no issues, pre-boot testing shoes no problems (although doesn't appear to explicitly test the touch screen), and most bizarrely (although might be completely explainable if it uses different tech to the multi-touch), my Dell Active Pen (PN556W) still works fine. Using the component test on the Dell Support site just doesn't work as it's interactive and I have to fail out all the tests.

I'm completely up to date on BIOS (1.1) and all drivers on Windows 10 Enterprise. The System app shows Pen and Touch: 'Pen and Touch support with 10 Touch Points', but touching the screen with fingers elicits no response whatsoever. 

Anyone got any ideas - or is this a known hardware issue which needs a hardware support call.

Thanks in advance. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 16th, 2018 06:00

I am not sure how a system would behave if the touchscreen were not working.  Since it is so new and still in warranty I would certainly talk to Dell support.

It may be something as simple as a connector needs to be reconnected.  On the other hand, if a device has intermittent connection problems it might be failing.

The Touch Screen seems to be hanging on the Intel Se+rial IO I2C Host controller so you might check for driver updates for that specifically and the chipset in general.

The word with the + sign seems to be one of many this site is refusing to allow....

12 Posts

February 19th, 2018 09:00

Many thanks for your reply - I can't see anything related to the I2C Host Controller and everything is up to date, so I guess I'll just raise a support ticket. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 19th, 2018 10:00

There are drivers for the Intel Ser+ial IO and the Intel HID Event filter on the support page.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-13-9365-2-in-1-laptop/drivers

You might check all the drivers to see if you need any others.  There is a new Bios update but that should not have an effect on your situation.

I can't see your original post right now but you did run the diagnostics?   

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 20th, 2018 04:00

The XPS 9365 is one of the first systems to have an SMBIOS of 3.0 so the Touchscreen works in the UEFI BIOS setup. Power down your system and then power it on pressing [F2]. You will enter the UEFI BIOS setup, does your touchscreen work here?If it doesn't then it is for sure a hardware fault, if it does there is a problem with your Windows Installation/Windows driver.

12 Posts

February 21st, 2018 13:00

@Philip_Yip - Thanks!

When it doesn't work in Windows and I power-cycle, it doesn't work in the BIOS either, so I'm guessing I'm looking at a hardware issue... It's good to be able to discriminate between hardware and Windows issues in this way. 

12 Posts

February 21st, 2018 13:00

Hi. 

Yes, I ran all the diagnostics and updated all the chipset drivers to latest versions. No change - still getting intermittent failure of the touchscreen. It actually worked fine for a day yesterday but sure enough, when I powered up today, no touch - I think it must be a hardware issue.

Thanks again for your help.

April 23rd, 2019 17:00

I'm having the same problem. Sometimes all is fine with the touchscreen in tablet mode. Sometimes touch doesn't work but pen does (which just happened. And now, as I'm typing this, finger doesn't work but pen does (in PC mode). 

Did you have to exchange the machine? Was it a driver issue?

Any info on what the outcome for you was would be great. (I just got mine a few days ago and love it except for that). Thanks!

12 Posts

April 24th, 2019 02:00

Hi. In the end, I had a site visit and the technician agreed with me that because the touchscreen didn't come back to life when in the BIOS, it was a hardware problem, and so the screen assembly was replaced. This rectified the intermittent touchscreen functionality issue.

I ended up returning the machine anyway though... The 2-in-1 aspect meant Dell had to make sacrifices in cooling the CPU (i.e. no fan), and because I wanted the machine to work hard when it was docked (running 2 x 4K external monitors as well as the 4K built-in panel), the CPU was essentially permanently temperature-throttled and performance in doing *anything* was awful. Dell agreed that it wasn't fit for purpose (i.e. Why say it can drive 3 x 4K screens when it evidently can't), and I was able to swap out for a XPS 13 9370 - essentially the same machine but in standard laptop format (not a 2-in-1) and with an active CPU cooler. It's quite simply the best laptop I've ever owned!

I hope you get yours sorted out ok. The 2-in-1 form factor is great if you're not trying to do anything too power hungry! :)

No Events found!