pb0001
1 Nickel

XPS 13 9365 BIOS 1.3.1 Hard Drive - Not installed

I have this machine for 45 days; During very light load, internet browsing, Microsoft blue screen and "Critical Process failed"... then had to log off / on, as automatically it would not gather data and restart.

Initially said Hard Drive - not installed but on the next attempt it worked ok... quite odd was my assessment; After a few hours, again the same thing happened, only now it just says "Hard Drive - not installed", after endless attempts upon reboot.

When switching on, it shows the Dell logo, it beeps and SupportAssist | Pre-Boot System Performance Check screen claims Warning Message Hard Drive - not installed. On the next screen, along with service tage...  Bios Diags 2.27

I assume a general failure on the hard disk... but then I have this machine only for 45 days. Are these HD meant to be this fragile and short lived ?  Highly disappointed do not even start to describe my state of mind, right now.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Re: XPS 13 9365 BIOS 1.3.1 Hard Drive - Not installed

An SSD can fail just like a light bulb.  They should last for several years but there can be anomalies.

Do you have an option to boot the system in Safe Mode?

If you go into the Bios using the F2 key during boot, can you change the priority of the Dell Support Assist so it does not interfere with the Win 10 recovery options?

If I run the diagnostics on my system, it will show no drive present even though it has worked fine for 18 months.  The reason is I am running my system as PCIe which is not the way the drives are configured by Dell.  If all else fails, something you might try is to change the SATA Controller in the Bios to AHCI or disabled to see if it makes any difference.  If it doesn't help, changing it back might.  Make sure and verify the drive is shown as primary boot device, if it is showing as available in the Bios.

The fact you got a Blue Screen just before this started could mean something else is involved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

pb0001
1 Nickel

Highly appreciate your willingness to assist me. Yesterday evening I kept trying to gain access to my XPS 13 9365 but it only kept saying "Hard Drive - Not installed", thus I gave up and decided to call Dell later on.

This morning I switched on the XPS and... it worked, perfectly. I decided not to trust the HD and started shredding my personal files from the machine. This is all the machine was doing.

And then... the Microsoft Blue Screen pops up... this time with a different message Stop code: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

It mentioned it would be gathering data, but like yesterday's Blue Screen it simply stalls at 0% Complete.

Forced the switch off, pressing the button for over 10 secs and tried to switch it on It did switch on.

I continued shredding the rest of my personal files and, yet again, the Blue Screen pops up, now with the message Stop Code: MEMORY MANAGEMENT - Again it stalls at 0% Complete.

I was able to switch off and on... and it came up at first attempt... I ran tests for hard drive, memory management and all came up clean, no errors found.

Tomorrow, other than the evidences I photographed the three Blue Screens and device claiming there was no Hard Drive installed, I am unsure what to ask Dell for... a new HD or could it be something with the memory... motherboard, completely blind with what might be going wrong with this machine. I have full support on this machine, as it is brand new, but honestly unsure what to ask for, other than reporting all these evidences.

Assume if it were an issue with OS the disk could not be claimed to as not installed during startup.

Appreciate any advice received.

Thank you

I

0 Kudos
pb0001
1 Nickel

And while running a Full Scan for viruses, another Blue Screen pops up, with another stop code.

Stop code: UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION

0 Kudos
pb0001
1 Nickel

And recently yet two more Blue Screens

a) Stop code: UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION

and afterwards, switch off and on

b) Stop code: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

If it is brand new, can you still exchange it for a new one?  There is a certain time limit for that type of swap as far as I know.

It does appear your system is not reliable.  It may be some specific component or something on the motherboard.

Is the system getting hot on the bottom and staying that way?

I think, since it is new and you have the warranty it might be best to just let Dell have it back.  Trying to troubleshoot yourself, may require changing out parts and no real reason to do that with a new system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
pb0001
1 Nickel

Thank you for trying to assist me.

Contacted Dell, who remotely checked my notebook. Based on the fact that both HD and memory have been tested ok, by myself... and that through remote control Dell assessed no dumps from Blue Screen while noting several system logs noting that system lacked permission, again and again, to access different drivers, while logged in with an admin, which could cause the Blue screen to halt things.

Dell's conclusion has been that the OS might have been corrupted and I should reinstall it. When I tried to reinstall it, through the Windows settings, it claims being unable to do so... which may reinforce Dell's assessment that OS has in fact been seriously compromised.

I am going to reinstall through a usb drive... however for a machine that has been used, for the time being, but to surf the internet with Firefox, it seems pretty odd, the whole event.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

These types of things are usually fairly hard to pin down.  If you feel the system is corrupted you might run a System File Check and see how many errors show up.  Reinstalling the OS can help the overall situation if Windows is at fault.

You could try creating a Win 10 recovery drive which, if it works, could restore you system to factory.  It may not work but it would not hurt to try.  It takes about 20-30 minutes and keeps the system busy, which might also cause it to fail.

There are a few reasonable trouble shooting steps you could do if you wanted to spend the money and had the ability.  But overall, I get the impression whenever you put the system under stress, it fails. 

Could it be a virus, a possibility I suppose since your attempt to analyze caused the system to shutdown.

The fact the 9365 is a modern standby system might mean folks who are not aware may even be starting and stopping the system incorrectly. 

There have been firmware updates for some of the PCIe drives used in the system.  I replaced my drive shortly after I got my system, so it is not indicative of your system behavior.

If all else fails, there is a procedure to wipe the Bios.  We had to use this procedure after the fall Creator's update to get the system able to shutdown and hibernate.  If you decide to consider it, let us know.

pb0001
1 Nickel

Just a wrap up for future reference :

First I do very much appreciate all the efforts and suggestions received here; Thank you so much.

I was able to finally succeed a full scan of the machine, on the sixth or seventh attempt. Left it completely unattended doing nothing but the scan, and finally it went all the way to 100% - no virus.

Dell decided after so many claims "No Hard Disk installed", and photo evidence at startups that the SSD could be at fault, with an intermitent error and decided to replace the SSD. This model has no fans, the heat generated might cause disruptions in the SSD chip (?) , hopefully not the case...

SSD came with W10 Pro pre-installed, but... faulty, I have to install through a Pen Drive; This is a minor inconvenience in face of all the issues faced so far. At least, now machine  has not popped up any Blue Screens anymore.

Again, thank you all for reading and assisting me.

0 Kudos
pb0001
1 Nickel

Forgot to mention since mid Jun/18 there is a new BIOS available for the 9365, which I installed now with the new HD.

Thanks

0 Kudos