Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

June 7th, 2019 18:00

XPS 13 9365 BSOD during Windows 1903 May 2019 upgrade - SOLVED

I have an XPS13 9365 "2-in-1" touchscreen laptop that was running Windows 1809. When I attempted to upgrade to the May 2019 1903 Windows release, it would get about 25% through, and on the 2nd reboot, I would get a BSOD with "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXEPTON_NOT_HANDLED". I tried both the normal Windows Update and running the Windows 10 Update Assistant multiple times to try to resolve this. I had heard about the problems with USB drives and ensured I didn't have any USB, SD cards or network drives (Google Drive Stream). Looking on the web I couldn't find a solution to this problem.

I was looking to see if I could turn the SD support off in the BIOS settings and noticed the SSD was connected using RAID instead of AHCI. Reading about AHCI and RAID, they both give the same performance, but I noticed articles mentioning that Linux would only work using AHCI, since special Intel RAID drivers needed to be loaded. I began to wonder if the RAID drivers aren't immediately loaded during the Windows 1903 update so that's why it was failing.

I tried changing the BIOS SATA setting from RAID to AHCI and my computer wouldn't boot Windows. I set it back and looking, I found the process to change from RAID to AHCI (and back again) was to:

1. Using System Configuration, change to Boot into Safe Mode. Restart
  2. The computer boots into Safe Mode. Restart
  3. Press the F12 key during the initial bootup to get into BIOS settings.
  4. Select BIOS Setup, System Configuration from the Left screen, SATA Operation, AHCI, click Yes on the Change SATA Operation warning dialog, Apply, Save as Custom Configuration, Exit BIOS
  5. Boot into Safe Mode again. Run System Configuration, change the Boot mode back to Normal.
  6. Restart. Windows will now restart and you are running the disk using the AHCI interface. 

Now run the Windows 10 1903 Upgrade and it should proceed to upgrade the OS.  I'm leaving it in AHCI mode, though in theory, you probably could switch back to RAID mode.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 9th, 2019 07:00

I run my system with the SATA controller disabled since I run my Samsung drive as NVMe.  One point, if you have an OEM NVMe drive without an OEM NVMe driver, you may get better performance leaving it as RAID and running the Intel SATA/PCIe Premium driver.

Running the Windows default NVMe driver may not, although I have not tested in a while, allow for best performance.  Just something to think about and test, if you were so inclined.

Since I don't run RAID, I can't comment on your install situation, but mine did fail when I had an SD card inserted.  Removing it allowed the install to complete.

1 Message

June 15th, 2019 05:00

I had the same BSOD and this fixed the issue.  Dell/Microsoft should document this as I'm sure we're not the only ones who will hit this issue.  I believe the RAID setting is the default (as is the Intel Rapid Storage software).

Thanks again for the solution!

1 Message

June 25th, 2019 04:00

This does work as described but it does cause issues and should be returned to RAID once done.

1 Message

September 4th, 2019 08:00

Plus one.

After sever unsuccesfull attempts (like those here https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-10-update-1903-fails-to-install/) the switch form RAID to AHCI in BIOS finaly helped!

I just wonder if there are any reasons to go back to RAID?? (performance difference like 1-2% is not the reason to risk it ..)

Jan

1 Message

October 10th, 2019 08:00

We resolved the BSOD issue on XPS machines by upgrading Webcam driver, dump file referenced the webcam driver. Since then it's been smooth sailing with 1903 upgrades.

No Events found!