Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2019 19:00

XPS 13-9365, WD15, USB ports stopped working after update on 4/5/19

I have a dell WD 15 dock. It has worked perfectly since I installed it 6 months ago. After the Dell update this morning the keyboard and mouse connected by usb will not work.  They are receiving power (the keyboard has backlights) but are not functioning.  I have checked that the BIOS is the latest version, I downloaded the latest firmware for the dock and tried to update it. It says that it is already updated.  I've powered off the laptop and restarted. I've disconnected the usbc from the laptop and then disconnected the power from the dock and then re connected. Still nothing.  Any suggestions?

1 Message

December 19th, 2019 08:00

I disabled Windows USB Selective Suspend feature and it fixed everything!

1 Message

April 12th, 2019 12:00

i have the same problem, which causes me to restart the computer... once i restart, i get the blue screen of death.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 15th, 2019 11:00

Thank you for your message. Does the keyboard & mouse work fine when connected to the system directly?

Have you tried using other ports on the dock to check if that works?

Disconnect all device from the dock & unplug the dock from the system. Connect all devices to the dock first & then connect the dock to the system & turn on the notebook & check if the issue persists.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.    

How to locate the service tag

1 Message

April 16th, 2019 10:00

Double check that you have external USB devices enabled in BIOS. We encountered this problem this week and that was our issue. Device previously worked fine according to the device's user.

2 Posts

April 17th, 2019 19:00

I'm having the same problem on my XPS 9365 with a WD15.  It was right around April 8 that I noticed this problem.. I had done nothing (no removal or addition of USB devices) in the days leading up.   I've had this setup running for the last two years since I purchased my laptop.  Prior to noticing this thread, I called Dell Support on April 15, 2019 and initiated Service Request:  .  The result of the service was to get another WD15.  I received and connected it today and have the same results i.e. no USB ports working, no USB audio.  However the HDMI port continues to work.

I'll call Dell Support tomorrow and pass this note along.  When I initiate another service request.  I'll let you know what I find out. P.S. I checked the BIOS for the Thunderbolt port settings and all external USB ports are enabled. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 18th, 2019 07:00

@ MikePlatt,

Please reach out to me on a private message if you are not able to get any assistance. I can check the tag details & assist you further. 

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 8th, 2019 16:00

I have a similar issue. the USB ports are not working on the Dell Dock D3000 docking station.  They will power the device, but no connectivity.  Everything work fine until Windows did an update last week. I was on a support call with MS for a couple of hours troubleshooting to no avail.  In Device Manager, the is and error "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"  I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the Displaylink SW and drivers and have made sure I the most recent updates including BIOS and Chipset.  I have tried a different Dell Laptop and it has the same issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Dell XPS 12, Dell Dock D3000 (Displaylink Driver Version 9.1.1561.0), WIN 10 Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

USB Issue.PNG

• 

16.7K Posts

May 9th, 2019 04:00

VicDew,

Have you rolled back the Windows update that caused the issue? 

Click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message as well as your Registered name
Email address

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 9th, 2019 09:00

Jesse,

Thank you for responding.  I did try rolling back and it didn't work either.  However, I was able to fix it after contacting Display Link directly.  Believe it or not after 4+ hour of trouble shooting, it was fixed by simply unplugging the power to the display port for 10 seconds and plugging it back in!!!

2 Posts

May 13th, 2019 11:00

I had the same problem with the same laptop and WD15.  After two new WD15's with reinstalling drivers and sending my XPS laptop back to Dell to be repaired, the WD15 USB ports still did not function.  I was ready to send my laptop back on 5/10 for another go at fixing the laptop and Dell Updates occurred (I believe the updates occurred on 5/11).  I cannot remember what the update was,  but it had to do something with either the Thunderbolt firmware or the Thunderbolt controller.  Once that completed, the WD15 worked fine.  It would be interesting to know what was pushed around  5/11.

1 Message

January 7th, 2020 01:00

Hi! I am facing the same problem. My WD15 USB ports are not working after the Dell drivers update. I have tried disabling the selective USB suspend setting but it still didn't work.

No Events found!