Highlighted
1 Copper

XPS 13 9365 hard reboot after entering hibernate mode

Hello everyone,,

Since I got the XPS 13 9365 I have been having some troubles with the sleep/hibernate/power on functions. I was able to solve the power on problem (each time I was switching on the laptop I had to do it twices, as the first time it was just showing the DELL black screen buand getting stuck there) by disabling the W10 option "fast startup".

But now I have to deal with another situation. Each time I put my computer to sleep its working properly, but if I wait 31 minutes before trying to use it again, it gets stuck in the DELL black screen and I have to make another hard reset by pressing the physical button for 4 seconds. At the end I finish losing all applications I was working with. After some tests I realised that the problem is not related with sleep mode but with hibernate. In fact, the problem reproduce each time I send my computer directly to hibernate mode. For the moment I found a workaround by disabling the possibility of my computer arriving to hibernate mode, so it will always remain in sleep mode.

I would like to know if any of you guys had the same issue and was able to solve it somehow. Sadly I cant say accuritily when this started to happen, but I think that its been with me for more than a year already.

By the way, I have all the drivers, including BIOS, updated to the last version released few days ago, but the issue persists.

Kind regards,

AntonioXander.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

The 9365 is a system that uses Modern Standby.  As such, it does not really have a sleep mode.

If you disable Fast Startup, you also disable hibernate..

When the system is on and open with the Desktop showing, it is in normal mode, of course.  When the screen turns off, it goes into low power mode.  Hitting the space bar should bring the Desktop back.  If you have a Bluetooth device, such as the Active Pen, it can also bring back the Desktop.

Depending on your power settings, the system will stay in low power mode until it goes to hibernation.  Once in hibernation, the power button is need for one second or until the keyboard lights.  At that time the system is starting up.  It may take a few seconds for you to see verification but if you hit the power button again, you may be actually turning it off.

This is an older YouTube video if you want to watch.  Of course, always be careful of such sites but it seems normal to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gilclJxJCCQ

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same on a 7390 2:1 and 9390.

Modern/Connected standby working as expected.

After longer inactive time PCs won't come back up, I am asked to enter my BitLocker key and then stuck in Dell Screen, even waiting up to 10mins - Only a hard reset solving this. 

Latest SW according to Dell Tools and Intel Tools. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

A couple of questions, first, do you enable BitLocker, so asking for a key would be normal?

And Second, how does the "extended period" relate to the time after which the desktop turns off and the system goes into hibernation?