Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2018 19:00

XPS 13 9370, CPU throttling?

Anyone having any throttling issues in Windows 10 on their new XPS 9370?

- Battery slider is set to "Best Performance"

- No "performance" power plan option

- Drivers and Windows 10 is up to date

Task Manager (on battery).PNGPower Options.PNG

7 Posts

April 29th, 2018 17:00

After some digging, this solved my problem.  I will chalk it up to a bad update or driver.  Not experiencing any throttling issues even on battery power--

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln299044/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-image-in-microsoft-windows?lang=en

Download the tool ... you will need your XPS Service Tag and follow the on-screen instructions to do a complete factory reset and install of Windows 10.  You will LOSE ALL DATA doing this.

Good luck!

9.4K Posts

April 12th, 2018 06:00

Hi captb3n,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

According to my research, there was a BIOS update that addresses the issue.  Have you installed 1.2.1 or later?

Dell XPS 13 9370 System BIOS

Dell XPS 13 (9370) Usage and Troubleshooting Guide

7 Posts

April 12th, 2018 18:00

I am running BIOS 1.2.1

I forgot to mention that this only occurs when running on battery power.  I understand Windows 10 does its best to maximize battery life, but there are occasions where I prefer performance over battery life especially with such a capable laptop.  I also tried a complete wipe and fresh reinstall of Windows 10 using their tool.

9.4K Posts

April 16th, 2018 04:00

Here is some additional information, which may be helpful.  The link suggests that Dell Power Manager may be a solution.

7 Posts

April 21st, 2018 05:00

The battery manager shows a lot of great info as to the batteries status.  It also confirms the power mode is "balanced" despite having the battery slider in Windows 10 set to "best performance".  I vaguely recall there being a second Dell power mode before, is it possible that is gone with a recent Windows update?

1 Message

April 23rd, 2018 18:00

I'm also seeing throttling when I unplug the AC adapter if that makes you feel any better. When I run NovaBench with and without AC adapter there is a ~30%-40% drop in the performance score.

7 Posts

April 27th, 2018 19:00

Thanks for the reply.

Here's my thing:  All the reviews I have read and watched on the new XPS have given it nothing but praise, particularly on the performance.  How can be that my experience is nothing like what I have seen in the reviews?  Really frustrating.

1 Message

May 21st, 2018 20:00

I had a similar problem where the CPU on my i7-8550 was stuck at 390 MHz. It was really sluggish. I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5uh6wo/fixing_your_dell_xps_cpu_stuck_at_minimum/?utm_content=comments&utm_medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=Dell  where someone else had a similar problem. It seems that if the CPU overheats or the power supply is not recognized correctly the clocks are locked down at a lower speed. Disconnecting the battery will reset the system. It worked wonders for my system. 

The Killer Wireless is a seperate annoyance that still is an issue.

1 Message

June 19th, 2018 02:00

Wow, that's cool. Dell is best<3

1 Message

June 19th, 2018 02:00

Dell has launched its XPS 13 in India.This 13 inch laptop is equipped with high-end features like 4k ultra HD display and the latest 8th generation Intel core processor. And the battery for the full hd variant is claimed to be more than 19 hours. The XPS 13 is also claimed to be the worlds smallest 13 inch laptop.MORE DETAILS

No Events found!