Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9370 Keyboard Skips Button Presses

Jump to solution

I'm experiencing the same thing as @CalmDownMonkey so I hope the two issues are related and fixed in this BIOS update!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@DELL-Justin C

Any word on this issue?  I'm having the same issue, (and it is quite frustrating to be constantly correcting "spelling" mistakes in a linux terminal, or windows, when typing too fast)

I was reading in this forum that a bios update may resolve this, and that it would perhaps be posted (unofficially)  on May 8th?  That hasn't happened, so I'm wondering about a more official timeline.  Is something wrong with bios 1.3.1 that it still hasn't been posted?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

To be fair, the May 8th was a tentative date "leaked" by a member of the support team, and wasn't an official date.

That said, it's very disappointing that this is still an issue. I think a lot of us would be more than happy to test out in-development BIOS to mitigate this issue despite the risks associated because it really is that much of an issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yeah, I realise the May 8th date was a "leaked/hearsay" date. 🙂

@DELL-Justin Chowever, seemed to indicate it was "ready" and "waiting to be posted" (which was 2 weeks ago), so thought I'd ask about an update, to maybe help push this along (along with all my tech support tickets from calling dell so often!) 😉

As i'm sure everyone is, it's just so frustrating to use this brand-new laptop, typing a command I use so often like:

cd data/something/something

that ends up showing on the terminal as:

cd adta/osmethnig/smoehting

And I don't even think I'm typing that fast! Definitely under 70words/min

😉

Anyhow, hopefully we'll hear something soon.  I'm even willing to try beta UEFI firmwares.  Because, like you said "it really is that much of an issue".

(It also makes me wonder why no engineer/QA person/or even reviewer of this laptop (from any tech sites that I've read reviews from), has even noticed this, when it was released.  It took me less than 10 minutes with it to discover this 😉 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

What I got from prosupport today:

"Regarding Service Request: xxx concerning Service Tag: xxx. 

Our engineering team already aware on this issue, the issue can be solved by next release BIOS version that will happen end of May. Has I mentioned to you earlier , if you request for refund or exchange with other system for now. Please look for the retailer shop for further assist. Please do let me know , if you want to proceed with refund , I will proceed to closed the case for now .

Regards, xxxx"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Now it's the end of May when we may see a fix? *sigh*

Considering I have until May 21st or so to return the laptop, I'm honestly very close to doing so. I actually went through Dell Financial Services for this machine, but obviously don't feel super confident right now in Dell if this is how they treat a major issue like this (yes, I'm having the same problems). Since we really don't know when this update is coming (or even if the BIOS update will fix these issues), I don't think I can justify waiting unless I was able to guarantee that I could return the machine past the 30-day window.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@Devhux

While I'm very disappointed with the way they're handling this specific issue, I have nothing but good things to say about their return policies and support. I'd be surprised if they didn't let you return it after the 30 days with this issue, but of course I can't promise you that. If you'd like to keep the laptop and wait for a fix, I suggest you contact their support department now and get some kind of confirmation that they'll let you return it after the 30 day window if the issue doesn't get fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@DELL-Justin C Any update on this? It's been a few weeks since you said "XPS 13 9370 BIOS version 1.3.1 has been packaged and is now waiting in line to be web posted". I've been checking the Dell website every day for the last two weeks for this. Is Dell not aware of how desperate we are to get this fix? Do you realise how many times I've had to retype words just to type this one message due to this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@jroper2,

There was a change of plans for the new BIOS. Dell decided to wait and add in a couple other changes to the BIOS before they release it.

I'm waiting for engineering to give me a new ETA. 

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update @DELL-Justin C
Really hope this also fixes the skipping touches on the touch pad. It happens about the same frequency as the missing key presses.

Interestingly touchpad clicks work every time though.

0 Kudos