XPS

Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 13-9370, Keyboard skips button presses

remove

Replies (163)

@Community,

The additional changes to the new 9370 BIOS have been completed and it's supposed to be posted within the next week.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

Thanks @DELL-Justin C, for sharing. Typing passwords has been awfull.
And KVM didn't work without issues either.

Can you confirm this update is supported by fwupd on Linux?
Or would I need to get a Windows install somewhere? Thanks in advance, again.

@Takkie,

I can't promise it will solve any keyboard issues for "fwupd on Linux". 

And no, you do not need Windows in order to install a BIOS update. Simply:

1. Place the BIOS exe on a thumb drive and plug the thumb drive into the system

2. Insure power adapter is plugged in and battery is above 10% charged

3. Shut down the system

4. Power the system back on and when you see the Dell screen, start tapping F12 in order to get to the 'one time boot menu'

5. Once in the Menu select the BIOS update option

6. Use file browser to select the BIOS file and proceed to update

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the update including the fix will eventually appear in the Ubuntu Software Updates via the Dell PPA? (I'm still running the 16.04 LTS that my system shipped with.)

(I'm not imagining things am I? Previous firmware updates have been delivered via Ubuntu haven't they?)

Thanks!

In response to my own question, the firmware update does not appear in the Software Updater application in Ububtu; however it does appear when checking for updates via the Details section of the Settings application.

I successfully installed the firmware update using this method yesterday.

And I'm very happy to report that it seems to have solved my particular issues as a game developer (and player): previously playing games using keyboard inputs was incredibly frustrating, due to the incorrect input ordering causing many games to get confused and respond differently than expected, especially when fast inputs are required.

This now seems to be solved.

Hi Justin,

I see the release of the new BIOS to XPS 9370 but I have the same problem of skipping characters on XPS 9365. Is there any plan of release for a BIOS update for this problem on the 9365 as well?

Thanks.

@Community,

Thank you for all your reports on this keyboard concern and also for your feedback regarding 1.3.2. We now have 1.3.3 which retains the keyboard fix, as well as adds other updates.

Capture.PNG

@rbaba87

Yes, the 9365 will be receiving the keyboard fix in the future. I just don't have the ETA yet.

I am facing a similar problem on my XPS 13 9360 where I consistently observe extra button presses, frequently pertaining to the "N" or "E" keys. The effect is:

entry becomes enntry 

lane becomes lanne or lanen

This only happens with the laptop's built-in keyboard; an external keyboard does not result in the issue.

Are Engineering aware of any known keyboard issues with the XPS13 9360? Please let me know if I can provide any additional useful information.

Best

Jordan

I've not been able to login for a while due to account issues, but although I installed 1.3.2 the key press issue sill remains. I'm constantly having to retype and it's especially bad when entering passwords and credit card numbers. I don't type ether of those particularly fast so I don't think it's a speed issue, and even if it was, it shouldn't be there at all.

I will try the new update, but if the problem persists I'll have to return the laptop when I next get back to the UK.

This issue is confirmed fixed now, this is a closed case.

The latest BIOS is 1.3.3.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions