Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

9 Posts

February 14th, 2019 05:00

XPS 13 9370 LCD firmware update - Black screen

Hello. I've used the tool to update the LCD firmware found here<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>and now the laptop won't boot, shows a black screen. I understand that i need to flash the display externally, but can i have a working firmware and some details to do it? I have a few programmers but i don't know if they support the IC on the display.

Kind regards

9.4K Posts

February 14th, 2019 05:00

Hi St0RM53,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system was having problems with the display.

The instructions for this firmware update was that it fixed the issue where the position of the cursor does not display correctly on the screen while using touchpad.  Hopefully you installed it for that reason.

Have you tried an external monitor?  Are you able to see your information with the external monitor?  If so, you may wish to uninstall the update and revert back to the original configuration.  Then run systems diagnostics to troubleshoot that touchpad issue prior to downloading the update again.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Display or Video Issues on Dell Laptop LCD Panel

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

4 Posts

February 15th, 2019 00:00

Hi Robert,

Currently I'm having the same issues after updating the lcd firmware in folder 9370 - > B133ZANxxxx

Appreciate your urgent help since the lcd are totally blank and I even can't see anything when I press Ctrl+Esc.

It will be great if you can share on way how to restore the original dell lcd firmware. 

Thank you

9.4K Posts

February 15th, 2019 04:00

Hi XeonK,

Thanks for your post.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Display or Video Issues on Dell Laptop LCD Panel

9.4K Posts

February 15th, 2019 07:00

Unfortunately I do not have the ability to do that.  You would need to call tech support in your country for further assistance.

9 Posts

February 15th, 2019 07:00

Yes there was an issue with the screen not displaying correctly, after what i think was an automatic driver update. The bios doesn't seem to load, so OS doesn't load so external monitor doesn't work (tried).

You cannot uninstall a firmware upgrade. It is flashed on the lcd controller. I can let you know the s/n of the laptop so you can send me the correct firmware and instructions on how to flash it using an external programmer.

9 Posts

February 17th, 2019 14:00

Well the firmware you supplied broke the screen. So you are telling me to RMA it to you then?

9.4K Posts

February 18th, 2019 04:00

St0RM53,

Unfortunately no, but according to the terms of the warranty agreement additional troubleshooting is needed.  It does not appear that I can not provide that here on the forum.  So, you would need to contact Tech Support in your country, or get the information for the Service Facility there so they can troubleshoot further.  Thanks.

9 Posts

February 18th, 2019 13:00

Hello again. I used a different external display adapter and it shows the OS correctly, i've tried your tool again but just says error; how can i re-flash the firmware of the internal display? Kind regards

9 Posts

February 19th, 2019 00:00

Also called tech support and they have no idea

9 Posts

February 19th, 2019 22:00

I managed to re-flash FW back, but i need a working one, can you please send me? I can let you know serial number

4 Posts

February 21st, 2019 00:00

• I'm contacting my dell local support now. Will update the result in this forum. Quite disappointed on how Dell software update check that can cause this fatal issue and the support resolution provided.

This is my first dell laptop and for a thing cost $2,000 this issue is really not acceptable

9 Posts

February 21st, 2019 06:00

they did not even reply back to my other posts..let me know if you find a resolution man

9.4K Posts

February 21st, 2019 08:00

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 18:00

Dell put that firmware on their official site and it is given a lot of customers problems but they are neither providing solution to the issue nor taking it off their site. Each and every day there are new customers falling for this LCD firmware failure but they seemed unconcerned as a company. I don't know whether they pride themselves to see their customers suffer. That laptop cost a lot of money and don't see why customers should be losing their laps each and every day from a firmware on their official site.

147 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 09:00

I posted about this some time ago, but my post was removed for some reason. I have a 9370 with the 4K panel. When I use the Dell drivers page to list all firmware and drivers after inputting my Service Tag, the LCD firmware isn't listed. (According to Device Manager, my panel seems to be manufactured by AU Optronics.) However, if I don't use the Service Tag so that all drivers and firmware are listed for a generic 9370, the LCD firmware shows up.

This indicates to me that the LCD firmware is intended for certain panels only. I don't know if it's possible to apply the LCD firmware to the wrong panel, but perhaps that's what's causing this problem.

No Events found!