Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

22 Posts

November 16th, 2018 13:00

XPS 13 9370, Panel Self-Refresh, freezing

There was a lot of talk around the initial release of the XPS 13 9370 about the Panel Self-Refresh bug that would cause the screen to freeze for seconds at a time. The workaround was to close the lid and open it again, or disable Panel Self-Refresh in the Intel settings.

I've not seen anyone complain about this issue for a while now, yet I still suffer from it constantly, usually when I first switch on or wake up the laptop. I typically have to close the lid once or twice before it becomes usable.

Strangely, Panel Self-Refresh has been off the whole time, but the symptoms I'm getting are completely identical. I know the computer is still responding (keyboard will still light up on key press, etc), it just isn't refreshing the panel for a few seconds.

Is anyone else still getting this, or am I the only one that missed out on a fix?

Thanks a lot!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 17th, 2018 08:00

I don't know if we are seeing the same thing, but my 9365 will hesitate when scrolling with the touchscreen or touchpad and other desktop situations.

If you open the Admin Command prompt and the UAC window opens, does the system notification sound happen at the same time or 2 to 3 seconds later?

November 20th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for the response, but it doesn't sound like the same issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MsXgOe5Z4Q This is the one I get. The laptop is still actually running fine during those freezes, it's just that the screen doesn't refresh.

9.4K Posts

November 21st, 2018 04:00

Hi CalmDownMonkey,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.  

I have reviewed the YouTube you posted.  Does this occur when using an external monitor?  How about an external keyboard?  From the video it looks like a trackpad issue.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful: 

How to Troubleshoot Display or Video Issues on Dell Laptop LCD Panel

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

November 28th, 2018 04:00

Hi,

The entire screen freezes, whether you're typing or using the trackpad, so it's not a trackpad issue. Anything animated on the screen will be frozen.

It looks like Dell have finally acknowledged it and have released an LCD Firmware update (although their description of the issue is a bit wonky):

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

A warning to anyone thinking of using it though - it turned out this firmware update wasn't compatible with my particular LCD panel on my XPS 13 9370, and it bricked my screen (engineer coming to replace it tomorrow). Only install it if it comes down through the SupportAssist thing, which makes sure it's compatible with your specific model.

No Events found!