Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2018 09:00

XPS 13 9370 WiFi issues after waking from sleep

Just installed the latest BIOS update on a XPS13 9370. Now after waking from sleep it's not finding any WiFi networks. I have to run Windows diagnostics each time before it will connect to WiFi. 

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Any solutions/suggestions? 

May 4th, 2018 10:00

I have this too. First time I experienced it today and can be added to my list of other problems with this laptop. So far I am experiencing;

1. Wifi not waking after sleep

2. PCIE card reader fault when running motherboard scan

3. Overheating issues when connected on to power.

Absolutely ridiculous and the support I have had from Dell has been terrible

May 4th, 2018 10:00

I have this too. First time I experienced it today and can be added to my list of other problems with this laptop. So far I am experiencing;

1. Wifi not waking after sleep

2. PCIE card reader fault when running motherboard scan

3. Overheating issues when connected on to power.

Absolutely ridiculous and the support I have had from Dell has been terrible. 

May 7th, 2018 23:00

Been experiencing this issue from Day 1.  Had this laptop for about 2 months now.  Have raised a case, changed the motherboard and the issue still persists.  ProSupport claim that they have not seen this issue before which is bizarre considering it's happening on 3 of these laptops that we purchased.  Spoke to them again Today and they say that they will escalate to the 'research team'.

Cheers,

Jon

1 Message

May 9th, 2018 09:00

I can see how that would solve the issue but wouldnt that cause significant battery drain during sleep? the wifi isnt supposed to be "on" and doing random stuff while the computer is asleep. Wondering if anyone used this setting extensively and noticed more battery drain...

16 Posts

May 10th, 2018 02:00

Here's what Dell Engineering and Killer Support has to say about the issue.

Dell:   

"A customer may report that XPS 9370 cannot detect any Access Point after system resuming from modern standby. The customer may report this issue as WiFi disconnect issue. The issue is observed with Killer 1435 WLAN module configuration on XPS 9370."

I shared this with Killer support, and they replied:

"Ah, so it is a Connected Standby (Dell calls it "modern standby") issue, just one that affects the 9370 and the 1435 specifically. Interesting.

The fix will come in the form of a BIOS update for your machine, so be on the lookout for that. Dell doesn't provide the drivers for 1435, we do, and since we were not aware of the issue, as far as I know, that means they've identified a problem on their side and are working on a fix, which is great!

I very much appreciate you providing me with the information that they passed to you, so that I can pass it up the line here, and so that I have it for my own knowledge. Once they do provide that BIOS update, and you apply it, I would love to know if it fixes the issue for you. "

16 Posts

May 11th, 2018 07:00

Got another note from Killer Support today...

"Correction - I spoke with our head of QA, and this is on our side. This fix will come in the form of a driver from us. The June date is not concrete, but it is being worked on. I apologize for the misinformation."

2 Posts

May 12th, 2018 09:00

Man, I'm so glad I found this! I'm in a search for a new machine to replace my Sony Vaio from 2012, and it's awful seeing that a laptop that's supposed to be "premium" has so many issues. And worse.. the support. 
Would be really good if you guys keep this updated after the new driver comes out. I know it's not funny for you.. but will save so many people from having these issues. 
Thanks for putting up with this BS...

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 15th, 2018 11:00

@Community,

Couple points:

-There is no need to replace the motherboard for this issue

-Dell engineering is in fact aware of the problem and is working on a new driver for June release

-This issue has been documented in an internal-only document ID SLN309660 so that our agents can answer owners that call in on this

Dell does in fact recommend the below work around:

Step 1: Right click mouse button on WiFi icon in taskbars where shows “Troubleshoot problems” & “Open Network and Sharing Center”

123.jpg

Step 2: Click “Troubleshoot problems” then access point can be detected in 20 seconds  

6 Posts

May 15th, 2018 19:00

I also have the no wireless networks detected after waking up from sleep issue and it's good to hear a fix for that is coming.

But I also have another issue with my XPS 13 9370.
From what I can tell, when my laptop connects to a wireless network with multiple access points, the connection might drop. The wireless icon in the taskbar will still show that I'm connected and have internet access, but I will not be able to access any websites or use internet features on my computers. In order to fix it, I have to disconnect from the wireless network and reconnect.

I suspect this issue only happens with networks that have multiple APs because this is not an issue at my home network that has just one router. But in the workplace where the wireless setup has multiple APs, my internet connection will drop. Maybe the issue doesn't necessarily stem from connecting to a wireless network with multiple APs and I am wrong, but whatever is causing this issue I only have this issue when connected to the wireless at my workplace but not at my own home.

Is Dell aware of this issue? Anyway I can fix this issue?

11 Posts

June 1st, 2018 14:00

I've collected some statistics of this issue by logging the network adapter information upon Kernel-Power-Event ID: 507 (Exiting connected standby). Out of 539 events, the Wifi adapter has crashed 133 times.

That means roughly 25% of the time, the Killer Wifi adapter is non-functional after resuming from sleep.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 1st, 2018 19:00

This if for anyone who might be interested.

I have an XPS 13 9365 which does Modern Standby.  I am hoping to compare my performance to your systems in hope of finding a reason for the problems.  On my system the Wi-Fi adapter is in an M.2 slot and not soldered to the motherboard.  As far as I know, I do not have the capability to replace my current Intel card with a Killer Wireless 1435 card.  These cards are surprisingly small but if I could purchase an M.2 version for testing, I would do that.  But for now, maybe some questions and observations.

How is your system configured regarding low power mode?  Do you have Network disconnected or connected or Let Windows control?

Have you made any changes to your system in an attempt to modify its behavior regarding "sleep"?

Have you checked the antenna wires to the card to make sure the black one is on the black connector and the white on the white one?

When you install a driver, do you let it install all components or just certain ones?

Does anyone have time to make a sleep study report and put it on OneDrive for access?

Does anyone notice anything in the Properties Events tab for the Wireless adapter related to the specific problem?

Does the external power being connected during periods of low power mode make any difference in what you are seeing?

How do you bring you systems out of Low Power mode?

If the system is running normally and you disable and re-enable the Wireless Adapter, does it take longer than normal for it to connect in that situation?

If you do not know, after the Win 10 1709 build upgrade, the 9365 had problems with shutdowns and not being able to go into hibernation.  It took a Bios wipe to repair that problem.  I normally put my system into hibernation after an hour on standby to stop the battery drain. When I bring it out of hibernation I see the spinning dots and the Wireless adapter is connected by the time the desktop appears.  If I bring it out of Standby by hitting the space bar, the Wireless is also already connected.  So in neither case does it need to search for a network after the Desktop is available.  I do have a fairly new wireless network with a powerful gaming Wireless router.  I think if I was testing for this problem I would disable all other wireless devices except the Router, to try to eliminate the possibility of interference.

I did run a Killer Wireless 1535 on my Inspiron 15 7567 and was happy with it.

16 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 16:00

It's June...

1 Message

June 4th, 2018 18:00

Sent a message to Killer tech support asking about a June driver update. Here is their reply:

"The information that I am now receiving is that Dell has fixed this with a BIOS update that should be released soon. I apologize, but I was not given a specific date."

1 Message

June 10th, 2018 15:00

Hey man it's June...

I just bought this XPS for my CEO and wifi issue is dricidr hil crazy.

Do we know when this fix is supposed to be available?

Thanks 

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 11th, 2018 10:00

@Community,

previously stated that Dell would be releasing a new driver for the WIFI wake issue as that's what I was told. @veex is correct however. BIOS version 1.4.0 should released around mid June in order to resolve this issue.

No Events found!