Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2018 03:00

XPS 13-9370, audio crashing

Hi,

My XPS 13 9370 has an issue where the audio might crash and stop working after a certain amount of time or after waking up the PC from sleep. This issue only applies to the laptop's external speakers, plugging in headphones will output sound to the headphones. But for the speakers the only solution that I was able to find was restarting the computer. 

I'm almost certain I've started experiencing this issue after I updated the audio drivers through the Dell Update system. I haven't had this issue before then.

Is there any known solutions?

Windows Troubleshooter reinstalled the drivers. That didn't fix the issue.
I tried to roll back drivers from device manager, device manager didn't give me the option to roll back (Option was grayed out)

2 Posts

October 31st, 2018 05:00

This is how I fixed the issue on my XPS 9575. Have been fixed for a week and no audio issues at all. Dell support remoting into my computer twice never fixed it. I almost sent the laptop back and I am glad I figured it out.

Go to this website:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=6.0.1.8544

Download the first file on the site. It will be a .CAB file.

Create a folder under c:\ and name it Realtek. Extract the cab file into that folder (it will take a little while).

After that finishes, go and right click the windows menu (start). Click on device manager. Scroll down to Sound, Video and game controllers and expand it. Right click Realtek audio and hit update driver. Select browse my computer and point it to where you unzipped to cab files. Just hit next and let it work and install the drivers for you.

Reboot your computer and enjoy the sound, the problem is solved.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 15th, 2018 08:00

If I understand correctly, both the internal speakers and a wired headset will work normally, but your external wired speakers have this problem.

Knowing the model of the speakers might help but if they had power saving controls which could turn them off, it may cause problems.  If you are selecting the incorrect device in the Waves popup when you plug it in, it may be trying to treat the speakers as a headset.

But whatever, from what you say, I would look first at the external speakers and their configuration and compatibility.

You might also check the Event Viewer to see if any log files are created regarding the situation in those situations.

1 Message

July 15th, 2018 11:00

I have the exact same issue gald i am not alone.

brand new xps 13 9370

audio from laptop speakers stops working after sometime or after waking from sleep

tried reinstalling realtek HD drivers etc.

Only a restart will solve the issue.

Also when this problem occurs i am not able to stream any videos on google chrome 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 15th, 2018 11:00

It is still unclear, your original post says External speakers.  If you are referring to the built-in laptop speakers, that is a different situation.

Internal or External...

If they are internal, since the same signal feeds both the internal and the audio port, it would seem the internal speakers are having some type of configuration problem or the Waves utility is not making them default.

On Settings-System-Sound, there are settings showing the default device for your current configuration.  Are those showing correctly?  If you look at the App volume and Device Preferences, are they set for Default or have you selected something other for a specific app?

The diagnostic you can run from boot would check the speakers for basic operation.  A short test may not prove anything since you problem seems to occur after a certain time period.  But there may be some relation to power saving procedures.

If it is relevant, the 9370 does not actually sleep but goes into a low power mode when the Display is off.  Some music utilities may continue to play with the screen off and same may pause.

6 Posts

July 15th, 2018 14:00

Very sorry about the confusion, I did not mean external speakers. Very bad choice of words on my part.

I meant the laptop's own speakers. Laptops own speakers will not work after some time or after waking from sleep. Only solution I found is to restart the computer. Plugging in headphones works fine, as soon as you unplug them the speakers do not output anything.

Once I experience the same issue again with the sound going out (Hopefully not but that's unlikely), I'll make sure to try your suggested troubleshooting. But for now, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the configuration (Settings>Setting>Sound, App volume and device preferences)

6 Posts

July 27th, 2018 15:00

Going to kind of bring this thread back from the dead a bit. I experienced the issues a few more times again but couldn't find anything setting wise that would cause my audio to just stop working.

I have no idea when the audio decides to stop working, as far as I can tell the audio stops working at random. Sometimes my laptop goes for days with zero audio problems, sometimes I experience my audio dying more than once a day.

Also it's worth pointing out that when the audio does crash, my current session of Chrome cannot play any video files (Youtube, Twitter video, etc), I get an error. That's when I know for sure that my audio has stopped working system wide. When I restart Chrome, videos play fine but of course with no audio.

To get audio back the only solution is a system restart.

6 Posts

July 30th, 2018 21:00

I reported this problem to Dell 3 or 4 months ago. Graphics card can't handle activity, often overheats system, memory runs out when playing Chrome, system freezes. Audio isn't heard. Currently I can't play Youtube videos without playing an audio somewhere else. For example, if audio won't play on yotube, I'll run amazon and then you can hear it on youtube. Or I'll go to the speaker/headphone audio slider and run it back and forth a few times and then there's a beep and it works.

1 Message

August 6th, 2018 13:00

I am having this same issue. 

4 Posts

August 7th, 2018 15:00

Also  the exact same issue on brand new XPS 15 9575.  Only thing that gets it working again is rebooting.  Drivers up to date.  Diagnostics does nothing.

September 2nd, 2018 23:00

I am experiencing the same symptoms described here.

Brand-new XPS 13 9370 rose-gold, 16GB RAM, 256GB ssd, i5-8250U, 1080p

All drivers are up to date and version numbers match dell.com

Sometimes after waking up from sleep, audio does not work from any application, video playback is lost (chrome, MS edge, etc.)

Only fix is to restart laptop.

This is clearly an issue reproducible by many users.

I will run diagnostics next time the issue arises and post my finds here.

This is the second XPS i'm buying in 2 years (9350 and 9370) and I hope these issues get resolved, otherwise I will refrain from using or recommending dell products.

1 Message

September 4th, 2018 10:00

Also having the same issue for the last couple weeks now. 

Not ideal having to restart the laptop every time this occurs, hopefully there is a fix for this soon.

6 Posts

September 4th, 2018 11:00

Even I have the same problem with my Dell XPS 15 9575

September 10th, 2018 01:00

I have the same problem with XPS 13 9370.

Playing video on Chrome, randomly losing the sound or having video loading issue. Restart chrome, video will run but no sound.

Only fix is restarting the laptop.

I just bought this laptop for 1 month. Quite dissapointed.

I hope they will have it fix soon.

1 Message

September 10th, 2018 02:00

I have had my XPS 13 for less than a month and I'm experiencing the same problem.  Very frustrating!!  Does anyone know if Dell has weighed in on this yet?  Obviously this is affecting a lot of people.  

1 Message

September 10th, 2018 16:00

One month old XPS13 9370 with exactly the same problem.  Hey, come on Dell, figure it out.

No Events found!