Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2018 03:00

XPS 13-9370, audio crashing

Hi,

My XPS 13 9370 has an issue where the audio might crash and stop working after a certain amount of time or after waking up the PC from sleep. This issue only applies to the laptop's external speakers, plugging in headphones will output sound to the headphones. But for the speakers the only solution that I was able to find was restarting the computer. 

I'm almost certain I've started experiencing this issue after I updated the audio drivers through the Dell Update system. I haven't had this issue before then.

Is there any known solutions?

Windows Troubleshooter reinstalled the drivers. That didn't fix the issue.
I tried to roll back drivers from device manager, device manager didn't give me the option to roll back (Option was grayed out)

1 Message

May 8th, 2019 01:00

I've had issues where the audio stopped working (internal speakers) with my new xps 13 9370.

Latest drivers makes the headphone jack audio stop working. Can't play music from soundcloud in chrome to the headhpones. Reboot fixes it. Really annoying. Haven't tried disabling enabling the driver to avoid a reboot, will test this later.

Once it's working it seems to keep working till you go to sleep mode.

5 Posts

May 24th, 2019 04:00

The latest drivers didn't help. So frustrating. Dell clearly doesn't care about this issue else they would have solved it months ago. I'm resigned to having an expensive laptop with a constantly crashing sound card. 

5 Posts

May 24th, 2019 10:00

True, the silence from Dell is deafening. Has this been escalated yet?

In the mean time, I would like to point out that this issue does not exist on Linux; I switched months ago and have been very pleased with the results.

16 Posts

June 5th, 2019 13:00

I have the same issue. Audio ceases to function after some time. Installed new drivers, update bios; no joy. Dell doesn't care about its customers.

1 Message

June 13th, 2019 08:00

I feel your pain, I have been working this issue for a long time for two of our users that have the 9370. Just today I have tried completely removing the RealTek audio driver and allowing Windows to use the generic "HD Audio Device" driver. There's not a surefire way to test fixes for this that I've discovered, but I put the machine to sleep, undocked, redocked, and woke back up (in multiple orders) and so far the driver hasn't failed again. I'm hoping this will fix the issue, but the insidious thing about this problem is that you never fully know when it's fixed.

If you know of a consistent way to replicate this issue on demand let me know.

1 Message

June 13th, 2019 11:00

Same issue with my 9370.  Super annoying.

5 Posts

June 14th, 2019 05:00

@ngrahamDG , do you need to actually uninstall the Realtek driver in order to use the Windows driver? It's not enough to just disable the driver?

I had actually disabled it for a while to no effect. Maybe I'll try uninstalling. At this point I'd stand in my head in he middle of the street if I thought it would help. LOL!

1 Message

June 15th, 2019 02:00

I am user of XPS 13 9370 Rose Gold and been facing this issue for long time. I will try the generic driver and let you all know. Thus, far it work for me when i disable and re-enable the Realteck driver in Device Manager. Thanks.

2 Posts

June 30th, 2019 07:00

https://appuals.com/how-to-disable-windows-10-from-automatically-installing-realtek-drivers/ The above steps to prevent Realtek being installed works for me.

219 Posts

July 2nd, 2019 10:00

what version of Windows 10 are you guys using on the XPS 9370?

maybe the latest Realtek audio driver for the 9370 (v6.0.1.8622 A14) is not fully compatible with the newly released May 2019 (v1903) update and Dell needs to get in touch with both Realtek and Waves Ltd. to produce updated driver software that works correctly with the Windows 10 v1903 release.

in the meantime, use the wushowhide.diagcab tool from MS support KB article 3073930 to hide/block any Realtek audio driver updates that Windows 10 may silently download & install w/out the user's consent.

August 27th, 2019 02:00

Any news on this? This problem is causing a lot waste of time

11 Posts

September 5th, 2019 23:00

Hi,

I'm also experiencing the audio issues mentioned in the thread. For a while, restarting would reset the audio back to normal. Now, the audio stopped working entirely, even after rebooting. I also tried booting this way https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln299234/how-to-resolve-no-sound-on-an-xps-13-9343-with-windows-10-installed?lang=en

it worked once, but now it's back to a permanent audio failure, regardless if I reboot or follow the steps in the article above.

I really hope Dell figures out a way to resolve the issue, I've had countless issues with my rose gold XPS 13 9370. I don't think they really care. They're slated to lose a lot of business. 

1 Message

September 27th, 2019 01:00

I have the same issue and it's doing my head in. I have to restart my computer to get any audio - stops working randomly but is also happening more frequently. I can be editing a video in Camtasia with audio working fine then once the video has been produced and the video starts playing the sound has stopped working. I have to reboot to hear the final product.

Come on Dell - where's the fix?

1 Message

October 11th, 2019 20:00

I have had my new Xps 13 2-in-1 less than 24hours and this is happening already. Did you get any support from Dell at all? There online call centre is closed (even though the website says it is open).. hoping this won't be an ongoing issue. Not what I expected to happen when spending the money o have on it!

16 Posts

October 19th, 2019 20:00

Thanks, Seattle77, I tried method #1 from the link in your post to switch from the Realtek to Microsoft generic HD sound driver, and it is working great. No more issues. Why can't Dell tell us to do that?  All they would tell me is that my support contract has expired.  

No Events found!