1 Copper

Re: Mouse cursor lagging and stuttering (XPS 9370)

Jump to solution

I have been having issues with the touchpad freezing for the last few weeks with my Dell XPS 13 (9343)

Was wondering weather it corresponds to the updates pushed out in light of the Spectre and Meltdown scares?

The touchpad appears to freeze with 100% CPU usage

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello,

seems to be a different issue, since we have it also with very low CPU usage (under 20%) and even on being idle.

Greetings

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the XPS 9370 Developer Edition i7 4K. I started off briefly with the build in Ubuntu 16.04 but after freezing issues (along with several good reasons to try) I moved to Ubuntu 18.04 Beta. Freezing still happens an no mods seem to have stopped it yet. Battery life is terrible also. I just moved to the new BIOS but didn't get to test it fully because my laptop bag and charger was stolen from my car when thieves smashed my windows. I have a new one coming this week and will test it out more.

One other things that I feel I need to mention based on some other reviews is that I also use Chrome. On more than one device I recently started experiencing higher than normal idle CPU usage in Chrome. I recently improved that by one little tweak on the device I am using while waiting on my computer... Disabled Hardware Acceleration in Chrome settings. Chrome CPU usage dropped both directly on the Macbook Pro and the Ubuntu Virtual Machine.

Maybe this will boost my XPS battery life??? My 2015 Chromebook Pixel with Ubuntu on it happens to run give me smoother performance, no freezing, and 8-10 hours of battery life.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sounds like one of two things:

1) You received lemons

2) You stuffed something up with the software. Did any of you clean-install Windows?

In the past I have found some Dell drivers to be very particular about the way they are installed, for example getting the audio to work without MaxxAudio hammering my CPU in the background with the Dell 9365. Sometimes you have to manually feed it the drivers extracted from the package without actually installing it. Other times Windows Update drivers work better.

Either way, I have the Dell XPS B520151AU and no problems whatsoever except for the large amount of crapware that came installed like Dell SupportAssist, and their BIOS bugs / ACPI Linux errors which seem to persist with every model.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Best way might be to boot into Linux Ubuntu 17.10 using a live USB and install the Linux 4.16 mainline kernel. If it works properly then, you have a Windows issue. Otherwise, exchange the laptop for a new one because it must be faulty. For me, the touchpad works fine in both Windows and Linux.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello. This should be my last entry here. I have received my replacement XPS and it works flawless. One should not wast time asking for a replacement whenever possible. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hey guys,

If any of you are still affected by these issues, please send me a PM (click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page) with your service tag and email address.

Thanks.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I sent the service tag and email to you via PM already.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Alasdair

I'd like to be included on this please, but don't know how to send a PM vs responding to the thread.  I've a new XPS 13 9370.  I've rebuilt it twice now thinking the first time was because the Windows image had a conflicting driver.  The second time I just did a raw install of Windows.

The symptoms I get are:

Mouse pointer moves erratically on it's own occasionally.  This includes buttons being pressed.

Mouse stops responding at all for a few seconds.  Generally when this happens it gets into a state where it keeps happening.  Often the keyboard also stops at this point for a few seconds and the whole machine seems to be unresponsive.

Nothing of note is happening on the laptop at this time.  CPU, Disk, Wi-Fi etc. are all showing as hardly used in task manager.

The laptop is unusable as a work device...

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Luke Presley from the XPS product development team here.

Question for people with this issue... Do you see this problem when you're plugged in? How about when you're running on battery?

0 Kudos