Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2018 18:00

XPS 13-9370, mouse cursor lagging and stuttering

Having an issue with my new XPS 9370. Using the touchpad (haven't tried using a mouse with it at all), the mouse cursor sometimes stutters/freezes for a second then keeps going. Happens quite a lot actually. Sometimes it actually stutters multiple times in one swipe on the touchpad but other times it works fine..any ideas on what to do? I don't see any specific touchpad options in windows settings or anything either.. Thanks

April 14th, 2018 15:00

Hello. This should be my last entry here. I have received my replacement XPS and it works flawless. One should not wast time asking for a replacement whenever possible. 

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

April 18th, 2018 05:00

Hey guys,

If any of you are still affected by these issues, please send me a PM (click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page) with your service tag and email address.

Thanks.

1 Message

April 18th, 2018 22:00

I sent the service tag and email to you via PM already.

Thanks.

12 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 23:00

Hi together,

just for my information, does the provided potential fix from @DELL-Alasdair R solved the issue on your side?

Best regards, Tobias

1 Message

May 14th, 2018 02:00

Hi Alasdair

I'd like to be included on this please, but don't know how to send a PM vs responding to the thread.  I've a new XPS 13 9370.  I've rebuilt it twice now thinking the first time was because the Windows image had a conflicting driver.  The second time I just did a raw install of Windows.

The symptoms I get are:

Mouse pointer moves erratically on it's own occasionally.  This includes buttons being pressed.

Mouse stops responding at all for a few seconds.  Generally when this happens it gets into a state where it keeps happening.  Often the keyboard also stops at this point for a few seconds and the whole machine seems to be unresponsive.

Nothing of note is happening on the laptop at this time.  CPU, Disk, Wi-Fi etc. are all showing as hardly used in task manager.

The laptop is unusable as a work device...

May 15th, 2018 11:00

Luke Presley from the XPS product development team here.

Question for people with this issue... Do you see this problem when you're plugged in? How about when you're running on battery?

12 Posts

May 15th, 2018 12:00

That makes no difference on my side.

I observe the same stuttering (on battery and plugged in) on slow mouse movements. Reproducable by e.g. drawing a circle on the touchpad and makes it smaller and smaller, or directly start with a small circle. On slow movements (small circle) the curser starts to stutter/jump and performs no smooth movements anymore. That is annoying in any kind of program where I need an accurate curser movement, because when I slow down the finger move the curser precise, the movement becomes inconsistent and jumpy...

For your information, I have already a ticket at DELL where I shared videos t so a colleague. Please send me a PN in case you need a reference number to follow up and keep the information from several users together to work on a solution.

81 Posts

May 18th, 2018 16:00

@DELL-Luke Presley

Problem occurs when device is running on AC and on battery (but on AC might be a little bit more frequent). The only solution (at least in my case) is still disabling "panel self-refresh" (that I mentioned here ) in the Intel power management settings. I've checked with newer driver version a week about ago and can confirm that this issue is still present.

Since this issue touches two areas: c-state (it was mentioned that altering this option in the BIOS helps) and panel self-refresh in Intel drivers I'm guessing that problem is caused by service/driver/hook that instructs the device whether to go in "power saving mode" (it emits its signal when user is actively uses his/hers notebook, not in "away stage").

Someone said that installing drivers from zip file instead of installer provided by Intel (or through Windows/Dell update) might help, but only thing it caused was necessity to update "panel self-refresh" property on each reboot since for some reason...

5 Posts

May 19th, 2018 08:00

I just received my brand new 9370 today (i7 4K 512GB SSD) and right after windows 10 final setup, I started to see weird freezing where the touchpad and keyboard was unresponsive. Sometimes the freezing was once ever few seconds, and then it seemed to freeze for 10+ seconds. 

I tried shutting down, restarting etc. and sometimes it would sort itself out, and others it just continued to freeze up.

When I run task manager and check the performance tab you can see the graph / stats freezing up (pausing) and then continuing on after a few seconds, then repeating the same over and over.

After spending £1600 on this I am already starting to regret my purchase. Is it advisable just get a replacement, or is it possible that this is another intel / windows issue?

I say this as my inspiron 7577 also had stuttering issues, but intel ran a load of tests and told everyone it was windows, and that issue is still ongoing.

Update: This is issue is quite intermittent which makes it harder to test things out, I was literally just scrolling down this site when it happened again.

One interesting thing I have found is when it is in its stutter loop, if I launch the intel graphics control panel it comes back to life, and another way is to hit the power button, then press it again and it's okay again.

Another annoying thing (that may or may not be related) is tap to click on the touchpad sometimes stops working and I have to physically click. This is such a fantastic laptop, but these issues are very disappointing.

5 Posts

May 21st, 2018 11:00

I tried a fresh install of Windows 10 1803, latest bios, intel graphics driver etc. and a RTC reset, and the issue still exists. I did however try the suggestion of disabling Panel Self-Refresh and that certainly seems to resolve (with limited testing) the freezing / stutter issue.

RE the tap to click, it momentarily stops working, but touch the right hand side and it works again... most odd.

Summary of issues so far - 

• Intermittent lag / stutter of touchpad and keys, and full freeze requiring quick press of power button off then on to restore system back to normal. Windows update, store sometimes seem to be the possible cause, but web browsing also a trigger.
  • Tap to click intermittently stops working, but touching the right side of the touch panel fixes it
  • Closing the lid doesn't always sleep despite the default setting on power / battery and fans can be heard spinning.
  • WiFi sometimes not connecting automatically on reboot.

May 22nd, 2018 10:00

Thanks everybody. I've shared your feedback with our engineering team.

They've been looking at this issue and they're continuing to work on it.

5 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 12:00

Hi Luke,

I'm glad the team are looking into it. If they need any videos / logs etc. then I am happy to provide them.
I would rather not go down the returns path if I can avoid it and if these issues can be fixed via bios / patches then that would be great as everything else about the laptop is fantastic.

Thanks,

Kevin 

1 Message

May 26th, 2018 06:00

Switching to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter fixed this issue for me (page 6).

13 Posts

May 29th, 2018 23:00

Waiting for The response.....this is my first dell product after switching from apple

13 Posts

May 29th, 2018 23:00

Do we have any update to the issue i purchased a new xps 9370 16 gb 4k variant top spec'd...im still having the same issue with the trackpad.....i have the same lags in cursor movements.....just tell me if this is a software or hardware issue...i love this xps and dont wanna return it

No Events found!