Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2018 18:00

XPS 13-9370, mouse cursor lagging and stuttering

Having an issue with my new XPS 9370. Using the touchpad (haven't tried using a mouse with it at all), the mouse cursor sometimes stutters/freezes for a second then keeps going. Happens quite a lot actually. Sometimes it actually stutters multiple times in one swipe on the touchpad but other times it works fine..any ideas on what to do? I don't see any specific touchpad options in windows settings or anything either.. Thanks

2 Posts

June 18th, 2018 12:00

I got the same problem, recived my computer today and I am very dissapointed...

Tried to update to the 24.xxx driver through device manager windows tells me I'm already running the latest driver which it not is..

Problem is occuring less when the charge is not pluged in i.e. when the cpu frequency is low.

June 20th, 2018 08:00

Has anyone found a lasting solution to this yet?

So far, Dell keep telling me to do weird things like installing mouse drivers and disabling sleep (?).

It only happens from time to time, and flipping the lid closed and open again seems to solve it temporarily.

I hope we're all talking about the same issue btw... the one I'm referring to is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MsXgOe5Z4Q

81 Posts

June 20th, 2018 09:00

@CalmDownMonkey wrote: I hope we're all talking about the same issue

Yes, same thing here.

13 Posts

June 21st, 2018 04:00

Nice to see this post.

I've had this XPS since launch and I hate it, it is the worst laptop I have ever used.

I'm sick of the mouse doing whatever it wants, the system locking up for no reason   What should be a massively performing device works slowly than a Gen 6 i5.

Get your act together Dell, this XPS is a pile of **bleep**

5 Posts

June 21st, 2018 04:00

I've had this. Unchecking the panel self-refresh fixes it for me. Not had a cursor issue for months. 

1 Message

June 21st, 2018 15:00

Hey, how do you access the panel refresh settings? 

5 Posts

June 21st, 2018 22:00

See post on page 5 of this thread

perpetoom
Silver

‎03-05-2018 02:50 PM
Re: Mouse cursor lagging and stuttering (XPS 9370)

Potential solution (until Intel or Dell will officially solve this problem), but I need at least one more volunteer to verify that:

1. Right click on your Windows desktop and select Intel Graphics Settings (you can also run it from tray area if you did not disabled it from running at startup)
  2. Go to Power tab (second icon at the bottom right side)
  3. Disable "Panel Self-Refresh" option and hit Apply
  4. Shutdown your device (do not just restart since problem is more likely to happen on fresh start and you want to test that it's "fixed") and turn it on back again.

NOTE: If your freezing problem will occur once again, double check that "Panel self-refresh" is still disabled (I saw in some other threads that sometimes options in the Intel graphics settings Panel tends to revert back to defaults).

DRAWBACKS: Theoretically shorter uptime when running on battery.

TESTED ON: XPS 13 9370, BIOS v1.2, i7, with non-touch FHD screen and latest (15.65.4.4944) drivers from Intel site.

SETTINGS IMAGE: https://imgur.com/1w7AHWf

3 Posts

June 26th, 2018 21:00

Got my New XPS 9370 16GB/4K/Touch/ Win PRO. Suffering from the freezing and mouse stutter.  The cursor vanishes, touch screen becomes unresponsive. The only option is to shut down and restart. I've also noticed this always happening when coming out of sleep mode (closing the lid) and it doesn't clear up until a full reboot is performed. ... PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ! 

3 Posts

June 26th, 2018 21:00

Got my new XPS 13 9370 16gb/4K/Touch... the cursor just vanishes, the touch screen become non-responisve. Every time I close it or goes to sleep mode this happens. Closing the lid and reopening does not help. If I disable the Touch Screen, this problem is not there. Am really troubled. Please help with the solution. Thanks

1 Message

June 29th, 2018 04:00

Can confirm on my XPS 9370 as well disabling panel refresh seems to fix this freezing issue. 

Note new updates can turn it back on (at which point freezing / stuttering behaviour instantly returns): so need to check it after each update.

Of course, this is not an acceptable level of performance for a top of the line new laptop but at least we have a temporary fix thanks to the community: it would be great if Dell could release a fix that works (last update did not work).

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2018 22:00

How do you guys even install the latest Intel graphics driver as my XPS 13 9370 is telling me that Windows has determined I have the latest driver which is currently at 23.20.xx.xxxx and I'm trying to install the latest 24.20.xx.xxxx.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2018 05:00

I had the same problem. Dell Support advised me to reinstall Windows 10, which solved the problem. My guess is some driver bug in the out-of-the-box installation.

3 Posts

July 4th, 2018 21:00

I reinstalled Windows 10 and still unable to update the Intel graphics driver. The message stated:

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will exit."

Also when I try to manually update the driver via the device manager and point it to the extracted file, it then tells me I have the best drivers for my device even if I know the driver is very much outdated at 23.20.xxx.xxxx versus the driver 24.20.xxx.xxxx I was trying to install.

81 Posts

July 5th, 2018 03:00

@oneframe wrote:
[..] then tells me I have the best drivers for my device even if I know the driver is very much outdated [..]

1. Go to Intels site

2. Find newest drivers (At the moment 24.20.100.6136)

2. Select appropriate package: *.exe (one click install) or *.zip (if you wish to point to extracted drivers dir manually later on) and download it.

3. Uninstall current drivers (from Add/remove software window or directly from selected device in Device Manager)

4. Install the new drivers

3 Posts

July 5th, 2018 12:00

Thank you! I will try again tonight when I get home.

No Events found!