Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2018 18:00

XPS 13-9370, mouse cursor lagging and stuttering

Having an issue with my new XPS 9370. Using the touchpad (haven't tried using a mouse with it at all), the mouse cursor sometimes stutters/freezes for a second then keeps going. Happens quite a lot actually. Sometimes it actually stutters multiple times in one swipe on the touchpad but other times it works fine..any ideas on what to do? I don't see any specific touchpad options in windows settings or anything either.. Thanks

1 Message

November 26th, 2018 14:00

This screams of a power-management related issue, from all the throttling / stepping along frequencies to cram this CPU into such a thin chassis and acheive the target battery life. It's insane that it's been poorly implemented to the point where my touchpad occasionally lags behind my finger or it takes 15-20s after resuming from sleep for the keyboard hot keys to work. Granted, there are more hardware configurations of a XPS 13 vs. a MacBook or Surface, but those guys seem to have figured it out.

The poor iGPU drivers don't help either; IMO they are better off spending effort perfecting the low-power iGPU use-case that most of us use instead of trying to cater to gamers that would be rather using an AMD or NVIDIA GPU anyways.

I'll try the disabling panel-refresh, but I'll try to get the Windows ETW framework setup to log exactly what's going on. Absolutely infuriating for a 8th generation Core i7 with 16GB of RAM to stutter running Microsoft Word or Google Chrome. My Dell R400 with a Pentium 2 nearly 20 years ago could run a simple word processor without stuttering.

1 Message

November 29th, 2018 16:00

Same .All updated, wiped, rebuilt, every dell work around which basically just turns off Windows performance features. 

Sending back, unusable. Getting a Mac again.

November 30th, 2018 07:00

Dell has released an LCD Firmware update that should address this issue:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

However, it bricked my screen and an engineer had to replace it.

Dell Support tell me it's because the LCD Firmware isn't compatible with my exact screen. I am still waiting to hear when they will release a version that is compatible with my exact screen, but they're getting a bit confused with my question.

If anyone tries this can they see if it fixes the issue? Or if you also have a bricked screen? 

1 Message

December 9th, 2018 18:00

When is DELL Engineering going to provide an update on this? I am still experiencing mouse and cursor freezing on a laptop that costs over 1K, which is highly unacceptable. I have used this temporary solution, but need a response as to when I can expect this to be resolved ASAP, otherwise I will return this laptop.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2018 02:00

I had recently bought dell xps 13 9370 and same problem with the rest of you. I had disabled panel self refresh which seems to solved the problem temporarily. The thing is it seriously lowers the battery time. Is there any new solution? Driver update?-- that helps with the cursor problem long term and does not compromise battery life. 

10 Posts

February 17th, 2019 21:00

One more thing... I just downgrades bios from 1.7.0 to 1.5.0. I will report if lag / stutters issues are cured completely

10 Posts

February 17th, 2019 21:00

Ok so I may have nearly cured the problem guys. Please note that I run my system with an egpu! I have disabled the dgpu (1050 ti) in device manager (massive lag / stutter reduction) and I went into the bios and enable boot support for thunder bolt devices. This causes the iGPU to code 43 but my egpu works very well on its own. I also have disabled intel speed step (I think helps abit) and disabled c states (massive lag / stutter reduction). I have also updated most of the drivers. I have also disabled panel refresh(no difference since I use external monitor and egpu) thing from the intel graphics control panel. I still sometimes get a stutter here and there like when writing this message I did get a 1-2 second freeze. Maybe I need to disable hardware acceleration in chrome again.... I also went into device manager and disabled alot of the power management options regarding usb hubs. Also I disabled pcie link power and put achi to lowest power. You can add these registry keys from tenforums. 

One thing I would like to see in next bios update is a way to force the igpu to stay active even when thunderbolt boot support is enabled. for some reason when windows boots with only egpu support, I get a lowered contrast on my screen. This can get fixed by turning the external monitor off and on again. However when thunderbolt boot support is disabled, the laptop screen boots first and then my external monitor comes online and the contrast is correct and vivid. So thats a minor fix I would like to see. 

Most importantly though, we have to fix these micro system hangs / stutters / freezes. I have read a few comments from some well informed people and they believe that what is happening is that the cpu is not allocating resources to the pci bus properly. Thus what happens is that the system runs out of resources for the mouse and keyboard and then freezes until it frees up resources again for them.  

Anyways guys I will keep at it and let you know the solution. Btw I also did registry fixes and a repair upgrade / install of windows. I may do the full factory reset soon if I don't figure out the solution. I also ran chkdsk and got 1 error about volume bit map? I then fixed that to with chkdsk /scan and chkdsk /spotfix

Good luck everyone!

Pete

March 17th, 2019 23:00

For the record, the issue has disappeared with updates and following the posted solution. I have had no issues with it at all. Will be buying another XPS eventually when I feel the need to upgrade but for now this thing is perfect.

5 Posts

April 10th, 2019 20:00

Sorry for double post...

5 Posts

April 10th, 2019 20:00

Hello, 

So, what is the solun, downgrading the BIOS to 1.51 version?

Unchecking the option in BIOS doesn't solve the problem for me. 

Thank you!

1 Message

May 9th, 2019 13:00

This "potential solution" worked for me. Indeed, it's not the mouse that stutters but the screen itself, and keeping that option disabled seems to have done the trick.

Is there a more long-term solution out there?

Does this happen with all the XPSs?

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 21:00

My problem is solved now.

I contacted Dell support and they provided a new firmware for display.

But now I have another problem:

I have a Logitech MX2 bluetooth mouse which keep disconnecting after a period. I cannot connected back normally, only by re-pairing... It seems that bluetooth driver is also having issues.

5 Posts

May 24th, 2019 04:00

They send me to my email a version.

June 30th, 2019 16:00

Hello there, what firmware did they send you? Can you provide the file name?

6 Posts

September 1st, 2019 21:00

bump, I also have a lot of issues with performance microstutter and hangs in google docs and scrolling on youtube and other sites. Tried some of the fixes here to no luck, i also get "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements" when trying to install the latest graphics drivers from dell.

No Events found!