Highlighted
KenKD
1 Nickel

XPS 13-9370, network adapter not detected

Jump to solution

I bought my XPS 13 9370 on Nov 24, 2018.

Last night it was working fine, suddenly Wifi went inactive and internet dropped. I ran diagnostic and got this message:
"Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter."

What went wrong? Did the network adapter go bad? What should I do?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
geohoost
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13-9370, network adapter not detected

Jump to solution

You have to download the following driver for Killer 1435 WiFi adapter on a PC with Internet connection and then transfer it to the XPS with a USB disk. Install the driver and you are good to go. Mine is working fine now.

12 Replies
Lars4711
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had the exact same issue. I had to buy an ethernet adapter and connect it with cable to my router, and was then able to run Dell Command Update which updated a bunch of drivers and the BIOS. Wifi now works again, but it looks to have been complete re-installed, as all my remembered networks has been lost.

0 Kudos
phguk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Based on my recent experience, the latest Windows 10 update 1803 KB4503286 (delivered 12/06/19) has updated/deleted the wifi driver: in my case Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1435. You can verify this by looking in Device Manager: there won't be a wifi adapter present and instead it's shown as an unknown device. The obvious approach is to update the driver (search automatically for updated driver software) but you can't without internet access. An alternative method is download the relevant Killer device driver from the Dell support website for your machine and transfer using a memory stick - except you may find it refuses to be installed manually unless via Windows update.

I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting this with Dell on this topic yesterday and only resolved matters by using someone else's usb-c dock station which gave me internet access using wired ethernet which eventually allowed me to update & enable the wifi driver. 

You could also revert to a previous restore point if you have one and hope this resolves matters. 

I hope this helps.

KenKD
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for Reply. I found this USB Type-C to ethernet adapter on Amazon. Is it what you meant?

anitamicky
1 Copper

Jump to solution

exact same issue

0 Kudos
anitamicky
1 Copper

Jump to solution

may I ask which driver you downloaded and ran? Or the link page? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Herbjulius
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I experience exactly the same thing. The network adapters disappears!

0 Kudos
phguk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

As I mentioned in my earlier post, neither I or Dell were able to update the  WiFi adapters manually. I saw an error message indicating you had to use Windows Update and only achieved success when I was able to provide an ethernet connection (courtesy of a docking station) and used "Search automatically for updated driver software". As others have posted earlier, a cheap USB Type-C ethernet dongle will achieve the same. The drivers are here and select category of WiFi. While the recent Windows Update caused this problem, hopefully Dell can research and then document a way to manually update the drivers.

0 Kudos
geohoost
1 Copper

Jump to solution

You have to download the following driver for Killer 1435 WiFi adapter on a PC with Internet connection and then transfer it to the XPS with a USB disk. Install the driver and you are good to go. Mine is working fine now.

KenKD
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks geohoost. I've tried your solution and XPS is working now. 👍