Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2019 19:00

XPS 13-9370, network adapter not detected

I bought my XPS 13 9370 on Nov 24, 2018.

Last night it was working fine, suddenly Wifi went inactive and internet dropped. I ran diagnostic and got this message:
"Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter."

What went wrong? Did the network adapter go bad? What should I do?

3 Posts

June 17th, 2019 04:00

You have to download the following driver for Killer 1435 WiFi adapter on a PC with Internet connection and then transfer it to the XPS with a USB disk. Install the driver and you are good to go. Mine is working fine now.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2019 02:00

I had the exact same issue. I had to buy an ethernet adapter and connect it with cable to my router, and was then able to run Dell Command Update which updated a bunch of drivers and the BIOS. Wifi now works again, but it looks to have been complete re-installed, as all my remembered networks has been lost.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2019 03:00

Based on my recent experience, the latest Windows 10 update 1803 KB4503286 (delivered 12/06/19) has updated/deleted the wifi driver: in my case Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1435. You can verify this by looking in Device Manager: there won't be a wifi adapter present and instead it's shown as an unknown device. The obvious approach is to update the driver (search automatically for updated driver software) but you can't without internet access. An alternative method is download the relevant Killer device driver from the Dell support website for your machine and transfer using a memory stick - except you may find it refuses to be installed manually unless via Windows update.

I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting this with Dell on this topic yesterday and only resolved matters by using someone else's usb-c dock station which gave me internet access using wired ethernet which eventually allowed me to update & enable the wifi driver. 

You could also revert to a previous restore point if you have one and hope this resolves matters. 

I hope this helps.

4 Posts

June 15th, 2019 11:00

Thanks for Reply. I found this USB Type-C to ethernet adapter on Amazon. Is it what you meant?

June 16th, 2019 17:00

may I ask which driver you downloaded and ran? Or the link page? Thank you very much!

June 16th, 2019 17:00

exact same issue

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 01:00

I experience exactly the same thing. The network adapters disappears!

2 Posts

June 17th, 2019 02:00

As I mentioned in my earlier post, neither I or Dell were able to update the  WiFi adapters manually. I saw an error message indicating you had to use Windows Update and only achieved success when I was able to provide an ethernet connection (courtesy of a docking station) and used "Search automatically for updated driver software". As others have posted earlier, a cheap USB Type-C ethernet dongle will achieve the same. The drivers are here and select category of WiFi. While the recent Windows Update caused this problem, hopefully Dell can research and then document a way to manually update the drivers.

4 Posts

June 17th, 2019 11:00

I hope Dell+Microsoft is reading this: Next time do not erase the device driver; update it automatically, make it works seamless without user intervention, please!

4 Posts

June 17th, 2019 11:00

Thanks geohoost. I've tried your solution and XPS is working now. 👍✔

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 21:00

I’m running into the problem now and I wanted to ask: will I be able to install the driver manually if I load it onto my machine via USB? I’d rather not have to wait on a dongle.

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 22:00

Thanks so much for the solution ... which I'd searched and found this discussion and your response before resetting my computer.

1 Message

September 27th, 2019 09:00

Thank you Geohoost! I was successful following your recommendation to download the driver for Killer 1435 WiFi adapter onto another PC with Internet connection then copy it to the disabled XPS and install/update the driver. In case it is helpful to others, in my case I was used a microSD card to transfer the driver(s) to the XPS.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

For what it's worth, I've had the same issue just now: On a Dell XPS 15 9560 the Killer 1535 WiFi adapter completely disappeared from the system. My system was updated to the latest bios and drivers a few weeks ago. No windows update was done before the WiFi adapter disappeared - except for a Windows Defender update. So I don't think this was caused by a Windows update.

Downloading the killer drivers to a USB and installing them manually did not work. The driver installer reported that no compatible adapter was detected. 

However, I also installed the Realtek Ethernet USB-GBE Controller drivers and for some reason this fixed the Wifi adapter as well. Not sure if that's coincidence but for anyone with the same problems, maybe this is worth a try.

Still it leaves me with an odd feeling about the machine that seems to have issues since the last BIOS update - requiring always two boot attempts to start up. 

1 Message

February 25th, 2024 20:03

@KenKD​ You can connect the Laptop to the internet with a usb to smartphone cable, sharing the phone internet and it will update, recover all the working drivers .. 

No Events found!