Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2019 19:00

XPS 13 9380 Developer Edition Cant Download Recovery Image

Hello,

I called support and they were useless.  I have a XPS 13 9380 Developer Edition that ships with Ubuntu Pre-Installed.  I went to the dell support site to download the recovery image just to have and it seems like the Ubuntu 18.04 Recovery Image is not available!  I go to:  https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/osiso/linux and enter my service tag and get the following error:

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 10.02.54 PM.png

I have a online friend that also has the same machine and he is getting the same error when trying to download the image.  It seems that Dell has NOT released this image.  How can we get our recovery images??  Is there an ETA on when they will be available???  I really need the image as I installed a different flavor of linux and want to go back to Ubuntu and had wiped out my entire HD when I did, I knew if I wanted to go back to the official Ubuntu Image that I could download it off Dell's support site but it's not available!  

Here is a photo of my computer details so you can see I have the version with Ubuntu pre-installed:

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 10.05.13 PM.png

I called support, and they had no idea how to even help me.  They had me run diagnostics on my machine.. Not being able to download a recovery image from the dell website is NOT a HW issue on my laptop so running diagnostics was a complete waste of time.  

1 Message

April 17th, 2019 12:00

I was able to see the recovery image when I did a search with my serial number but when I clicked on the download link I was taken to a page that said restricted. After a lot of searching I was able to find this site which appears to be allowing me to download the recovery image.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/osiso

Enter your service tag and you should be able to see the "Download the recovery image" option.

dell_xps_13_recovery.png

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 24th, 2019 09:00

Have you looked at the link below?  There were some folks saying they were not able to download a Win 10 recovery image but others had no problems.  Not sure why but it might be related to your location or some other local situation.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln301761/how-to-use-the-dell-hosted-recovery-image-of-linux?lang=en

16 Posts

March 24th, 2019 09:00

@Saltgrass wrote:

Have you looked at the link below?  There were some folks saying they were not able to download a Win 10 recovery image but others had no problems.  Not sure why but it might be related to your location or some other local situation.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln301761/how-to-use-the-dell-hosted-recovery-image-of-linux?lang=en

I don't think it's a location thing as I'm in the US and trying to download it on the US site.  I can download the Ubuntu iso for my 9350 Developer Edition just fine, just can't get the 9380 18.04 iso that my system shipped with.  It seems like Dell hasn't made the image available yet. 

16 Posts

March 25th, 2019 07:00

So I had a few online buddies who also have the 9380 Developer Edition check, and they are getting the same message as I am.  SO it appears that Dell has not made the recovery iso available yet for the 9380.

Support was clueless insisting they do not supply the ubuntu recovery iso even after I showed them they have for the past 3 models at least that I have used and downloaded the iso for. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 25th, 2019 08:00

You are probably right about the image not being available.  Possibly, there is some licensing situation or they have to wait a certain time before it will be available.  Ubuntu does ask for donations when you download directly from their site.

Also, I noticed you said you entered your service tag.  If you are using a machine qualified for that OS you should not need the service tag, but the system I used to download a Win 10 image still had the normal install of Win 10.  If the original install had been altered, it may be involved with some problems.

If you have already tried downloading the image from another system using your service tag and I have no idea if this would help, but you might download 18.04 LTS directly from Ubuntu and install, then if you want the OEM utilities, go back and try to get the image.  Your attachment shows it could not generate the image because of missing information which I suppose could have been something in the original install. 

16 Posts

March 25th, 2019 08:00

@Saltgrass wrote:

You are probably right about the image not being available.  Possibly, there is some licensing situation or they have to wait a certain time before it will be available.  Ubuntu does ask for donations when you download directly from their site.

Also, I noticed you said you entered your service tag.  If you are using a machine qualified for that OS you should not need the service tag, but the system I used to download a Win 10 image still had the normal install of Win 10.  If the original install had been altered, it may be involved with some problems.

If you have already tried downloading the image from another system using your service tag and I have no idea if this would help, but you might download 18.04 LTS directly from Ubuntu and install, then if you want the OEM utilities, go back and try to get the image.  Your attachment shows it could not generate the image because of missing information which I suppose could have been something in the original install. 

My friends were getting the same exact message I was.  So I really think they just haven't made it available yet, or when you enter your service tag it looks for a specific iso on the server and can't find it.  I get that same message no matter what system I use.  I even tried on my mac and got the same thing.  You should be able to download the recovery media no matter what the system is as long as you supply the service tag number.  I was able to download the 9360 Developer Edition ISO on my mac one time I needed to restore ubuntu

I had wiped out the recovery partition when I installed another distro on my 9380 because I thought "If I ever want to go back, I can just download the image from dell."  lol  One of my buddies created a recovery iso for me from their recovery partition so all is well now, but dell should really look into why the image isn't available. Perhaps someone had a typeo in the file name or something so the site isn't finding the iso on their server. 

20 Posts

March 31st, 2019 14:00

Could you please upload it also for the others dell xps13 users?

20 Posts

April 11th, 2019 03:00

News?

20 Posts

April 19th, 2019 06:00

Thank you,

perfect!!

No Events found!