Highlighted
funky_monk96
1 Nickel

XPS 13 9380 Wifi Problems Ubuntu

I have dual booted my XPS 13 with ubuntu and while the wifi works perfectly on windows, I've had problems with it on ubuntu since day one. The connection drops and network manager crashes, sometimes freezing the whole system. I have tried updating the kernel and the ath10k firmware (drivers for the QCA6174 wifi card), but the problem persists. A suggested workaround was to only connect to 2.4Ghz networks but this is not ideal (and I haven't tested it for long enough to say if it works) and given that dell ships this laptop with the same hardware and ubuntu preinstalled I was wondering if there is a better fix that won't require choosing a specific network AP every time I connect to a new wifi. The wifi card is not replaceable. Alternatively, is there a linux distro that definitely works with the laptop?

If anyone has the developer edition of the XPS 9380 what kernel/ath10k driver version are you running?

Tags (3)
2 Replies
mjmeehan
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9380 Wifi Problems Ubuntu

I also have problems on resume from sleep, requires a reboot to fix. Will post some logs when I get home.

0 Kudos
jedichen
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9380 Wifi Problems Ubuntu

I'm using 9360 which I bought last year and dual booted with ubuntu and I've had the same problem since day one. The wifi just seems to drop randomly and turning the wifi off and on again can regain the connection. The network manager used to freeze a few months ago but not any more now I guess because of some software updates. I don't think it's a problem with the wifi itself since my phone never lost connection randomly. Would love to know a fix.
0 Kudos