XPS

Last reply by 08-10-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 13 9380, can't sleep or hibernate

I have had this issue for about 1 year. Even when I set the power button to hibernate it will not hibernate. When i pull my laptop out of its case if I don't manually shut down my computer gets SO hot! I had to replace my battery 2 weeks ago I believe due to this problem.

Replies (7)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I've had this same issue. Last few months my XPS 13 9380 will seldom hibernate. When I attempt to hibernate, it returns to the logon screen after a few seconds. Sometimes after I shutdown and restart, hibernate will work a time or two, but then quits working again. Dell, please solve this issue! 

Same thing. It's endemic, but no solution appears to be around.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Welcome the infuriating world of XPS 9xxx. This problem wasn't resolved for the year after I purchased until the motherboard failed and was replaced under warranty. The problem is gone. That is the solution.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Still happening 2nd August 2022 despite my W10 and BIOS being up to date.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I seemed to have resolved it now;  this is what worked for me on W 10:

right click the charging indicator (bottom of task bar rhs)

power options > change when the computer sleeps (lhs) > change advanced power settings > sleep >

sleep after (choose your figures)   hibernate after (add 5 minutes to both the "sleep after" figures) > click OK.

Give it a try - it works for me.  No more selecting hibernate and then watching it return to the log in screen.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I forgot to add:  REBOOT

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Well, back to cycling between hibernate and log in page again after two days.

One thing I did notice was that sometimes, after successful hibernation, then when I came out of hibernation,  ALL of my previously open programmes had been shut down.

I normally have open:  MS Outlook, MS Money 2005 (yes!), Firefox and Crystal Disk but they would all be closed when I came out of hibernation.

As an experiment, I closed each one in turn prior to selecting hibernation.  BY closing (only) MS Outlook first, my laptop now successfully hibernates each time I try it.  The other programmes are still there when I come out of hibernation.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor