Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

15 Posts

July 18th, 2019 14:00

XPS 13 9380, chipset driver won't install, #3

I am experiencing the same issue. The update is presented by Dell Command Update but when installing the chipset driver a continuous buzzing sound ensues and a BSOD appears. WhoCrashed states:

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Thu 18/07/2019 01:35:22 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071819-7500-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: rtsper.sys (0xFFFFF8025D4816C2)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8025D4816C2, 0xFFFFF501FE27D5D8, 0xFFFFF501FE27CE20)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\rtsper.sys
product: Windows (R) Win 7 DDK driver
company: Realsil Semiconductor Corporation
description: RTS PCIE READER Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: rtsper.sys (RTS PCIE READER Driver, Realsil Semiconductor Corporation).
Google query: rtsper.sys Realsil Semiconductor Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

However, the Realtek drivers installed. The problem only occurs with the Intel chipset ones and for the time being they are the only ones I haven't tried again to install. Btw, this is on a brand new Dell XPS 13 9380 so I do hope it is not a hardware issue... (pray).

• 

16.7K Posts

July 19th, 2019 07:00

Kounavaki,

Click the link below to restore Windows.

Factory reset, restore, or reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell computer

15 Posts

July 19th, 2019 11:00

Hi. Why should I do that? This is a brand new PC. I'm sorry but anytime someone says "Reset your Windows" for every little or major issue arises... In addition, it is impractical to do that since I do not have to spend all day debugging. This is clearly a deficiency from the Dell's side (considering that no hardware issue exists). On another note, my service tag is not recognized by Dell Support (and neither my customer number or my digital purchases or warrant info or anything else). Any ideas?

15 Posts

July 21st, 2019 13:00

It seems like the culprit is the Windows OS. I was using the "Semi - Annual Channel" with a 90 days of deferring updates(and 10 days for quality ones) which means the drivers were incompatible with the Windows built I was using as "latest" aka v1809, build 17763.615. I minimized the deferrement of updates to 60 days and that forced the Windows 1903 to be installed. All in all, the 4 drivers listed from the SupportAssist (including the chipset) installed despite the "Dell Command | Update" tool listing the chipset as an unapplied update.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 05:00

Kounavaki,

Glad to hear the system updated. 

No Events found!