Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

6 Posts

June 16th, 2019 02:00

XPS 13-9380, new, plugged in, stops charging?

New XPS 13-9380 USB Type-C charger. XPS 13-9380 is plugged in. Light on the *cable* is on. XPS 13-9380 charges. Some time later, the light on the cable turns off. XPS 13-9380 stops getting power of course. Stays this way for hours (over night). Unplug the charger (at the wall) and plug back in, and it lights up. So seems not a software thing. Is this a faulty charger?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 17th, 2019 09:00

To be clear, you are plugging the AC power adapter into the left side #2 port? Are you saying that the battery charge is dropping to 0%?

6 Posts

June 17th, 2019 12:00

Plugging into #2 - correct.

Laptop charges up just fine. I leave it plugged in, make zero changes. 

At some point, the light on the cable turns off.  Laptop stops getting power.

If I leave it like this, yes, eventually laptop battery would run down to 0. 

I'm leaving it in overnight, and expect it to remain fully charged up of course.

If I just unplug the power adapter from the wall, and plug it back in, light comes back on, power flows again.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 17th, 2019 13:00

What is the status of the AC adapter & Battery in BIOS when the light on the adapter goes off or when it stops charging? 

Does it say plugged in not charging or not detected?

Does the secondary port on the right, charge the device?

Does the light on the adapter cable turn on if you unplug & plug just on the notebook & not on the wall?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find the service tag

No Events found!