Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2019 18:00

XPS 13 9380 w/UHD battery preservation

I'm looking to purchase a 9380 with UHD display but I've heard the battery life is around 5 hours shorter than with the FHD display. Is it possible to increase the battery life by simply setting the resolution to 1080 on days whenever I need better battery life?

Whilst this may not give me the same battery gains as if I bought a FHD display, I imagine it would still make a difference? 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

No, it won't make any difference at all.  Even if Windows is sending a 1920x1080 signal, the display still has a 4K physical pixel resolution, so the display still has to upscale that signal to its native resolution.  And the other contributors to the battery drain are the fact that the display's higher pixel density means you need a brighter backlight to achieve a given brightness (and the 4K display also has a higher visible brightness rating, which means the backlight brightness difference would have to be even more significant) and then the 4K display also has a touchscreen that consumes some power.

Thank you for the very quick response. 

It appears then for battery, I need to go for the FHD display. 

July 14th, 2019 15:00

I was wondering what real world battery time you get out of the FHD and UHD versions of these? 

I am looking to buy a 16gb i7 9370 or 9380 but through my research, through typical "normal" wifi usage (browsing, youtube, powerpoint), the UHD gets around 5 hours and the FHD can go above 8 hours? 

Initially, I thought the UHD could get around 7-9 hours which would have been perfect for me but I don't know how realistic this is. 

No Events found!