Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2018 03:00

XPS 13 9530 burns

Laptop Burns on 27 June 2018

Is there any similar events ever reported? I wonder whether the battery is defective.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 28th, 2018 07:00

Dell Taiwan Technical Support is working this issue.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 27th, 2018 06:00

We cannot see your image.  Post a description of the problem or a link to the image hosted elsewhere.

3 Posts

June 27th, 2018 19:00

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 28th, 2018 05:00

You can try calling Dell to see what they say, but there's clear evidence the system did give you warning the battery was faulty -- the warping of the touchpad and keyboard mean the battery was swelling up before the event occurred -- any sign of that means a battery is end of life, hazardous and must be replaced immediately.

3 Posts

Thank you. 

“While a swollen pack does not represent a safety concern,...”

https://www.dell.com/support/article/tw/zh/twdhs1/sln292953/how-to-troubleshoot-dell-laptop-battery-issues?lang=en

Given the battery cannot work well as new one, the product shall still be free from self-burning.

I reported to Dell and I hope Dell dispatches engineer to check this event soon.

489 Posts

Yes swollen li-ion batteries of this kind are known to catch fire on occasions, luckily not very often (as Samsung S7), but if they inflate they should be treated as a serious fire hazard. 

User manuals are usually full of warnings, but Dell doesn't pay enough attention to this, partly because they want to avoid responsibility for the inflated batteries (replace some for free, can't even supply replacement batteries to others that are willing to pay...). I think it wouldn't be so difficult and expensive to fit batteries with some sort of inflation gauges, so that they'd stop working before swelling up. 

No Events found!