Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

November 7th, 2019 13:00

XPS 13 Developers edition (new one 2019) won't boot from USB

I have the new XPS 13 Developers edition and I'd like to install a different linux OS. It shipped with Ubuntu 18.04.

I have secure boot off and I've tried setting it to AHCI and RAID.

I've also tried multiple USB drives.

Each results in the laptop sitting at the Dell splash screen when I try to boot from the USB stick.

Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 7th, 2019 13:00

Is your USB stick and whatever OS you're trying to boot from it set up for UEFI booting rather than Legacy BIOS booting?  Apparently some newer Dell systems no longer support Legacy BIOS booting.  Initially that was disabled for internal storage but still allowed for USB devices if needed, but it seems it's being eliminated entirely -- possibly in preparation for the fact that Intel has announced that their CPUs will no longer support Legacy BIOS booting in 2021 or so.

In any case, AHCI vs. RAID won't affect USB booting, although RAID mode will prevent your system's internal storage from being visible in Linux.  You'll need to use AHCI mode.

November 7th, 2019 17:00

Assuming it's a UEFI Parititoned USB Key, you need to turn off SecureBoot and also TPM. 

Also, do NOT boot the USB Key on Legacy Boot Mode.
Legacy Boot mode and UEFI mode don't work together.

If you manage to boot under Legacy Boot Mode, your UEFI Ubuntu installation will likely fail at the end when it tries to write boot partition information. 

It certainly did for me during my Pop/OS (variation of Ubuntu) dual boot installation and I was pulling my hair out for 2 days, until I figured out I had to disable TPM as well to get the USB boot working through UEFI.

6 Posts

November 8th, 2019 09:00

The new one doesn't have the Legacy option, unless it's buried somewhere. I was not able to find it.

I created the bootable USB drive using DD and using RUFUS. My most recent attempt was using RUFUS which creates EUFI bootable drive.

Even turning secure boot and TPM off, I still only get the Dell splash screen and it will not boot off of the USB drive.

It's pretty disappointing how much effort it is taking in order to install an operating system.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 8th, 2019 10:00

Ok, Rufus should definitely work as long as you choose to make a GPT disk for UEFI booting, since Rufus also supports creating Legacy BIOS boot media.  How is the flash drive connected to the system?  If it's through a dock or hub, can you try connecting it directly, or through just a simple USB-C to USB-A adapter dongle if necessary?  Sometimes having "active" devices in the USB data path can create problems with bootable devices.  Also, have you tried a different flash drive?  I've seen some systems that simply won't boot from certain flash drives.  I'm not sure why, but it does happen.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 8th, 2019 16:00

Legacy Option ROMs isn’t needed. That actually enables Legacy BIOS boot options. The difference between UEFI + Legacy Option ROMs and full Legacy mode is that the latter allows ONLY Legacy boot options, with UEFI completely disabled.

November 8th, 2019 16:00

Here are my BIOS Settings:

• Settings
    • Boot Sequence
      • UEFI : ON
    • Advanced Boot Options
      • Enable Legacy Option Roms : ON (Not sure if this is needed)
  • System Config
    • USB Config
      • Enable USB Boot Support : ON
      • SATA Operation : AHCI
    • Security
      • TPM 2.0 Security
        • TPM ON : OFF
    • Secure Boot
      • Secure Boot Enable : OFF

I also used Etcher instead of Rufus. Give that a go.
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

I've had problems with Rufus is the past. It could be a case by case thing with some USB keys working well with Rufus and others don't

5 Posts

November 9th, 2019 00:00

Have exact the same issue. I tried different USB Sticks, rufus and etcher - but Ubuntu 19 wont boot. I tried ubuntu 14, and that worked perfectly. I also tried a SD card, which worked perfectly on other laptops - but the XPS 7390 will not boot and stuck at the dell logo.

Any suggestions? TPM disabled, UEFI enabled, switched to AHCI, Secure Boot disabled.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2019 01:00

okay, solved. The solution is simple - only Ubuntu 18.04 has GPT extended boot loader definition in the iso. PopOS / Fedora does not have. XPS 13 7390 confirmed to install Ubuntu.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2019 03:00

Have you checked whether the bootable media is recognized by all USB Type-C ports? Incidentally, under 'POST Behavior', change "Fastboot" to "Thorough", which prevents intermittent boot failures.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2019 04:00

Have. Weird thing is really that only 18.04 boot and get installed, any other distro does not boot from USB. Update to the newest bios, different USB Sticks tested again / nothing. Stuck at the Dell logo. On the same UCB-C port Ubunutu 18.04. boot without issues.

6 Posts

November 12th, 2019 13:00

Thanks for testing that out and posting your results but it's not really a solution to the problem. I want to install a different OS other than Ubuntu LTS.

14 Posts

November 12th, 2019 16:00

I was only able to boot Fedora 31 and Ubuntu 19.10 (and of course the dell Ubuntu Image).

I suspect there might be a minimum kernel version that will successfully boot on these. 

Mine is the XPS 7390 non 2in1

5 Posts

November 13th, 2019 05:00

6 Posts

November 15th, 2019 05:00

It isn't on a dock. It's directly to the computer. I've tried 3 different USB A using a dongle and one USB C drive that I bought specifically for this. It is a Samsung drive.

The drive vendors that I've used are

Samsung USB-C

Samsung USB-A

Sandisk USB-A

Kingston USB-A

6 Posts

November 15th, 2019 06:00

Good find! The descriptions in the bug reports sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.

No Events found!