Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

October 31st, 2018 06:00

XPS 13 - Extra Space Added Every Five or Ten Words

When I type (in Word, Gmail, or any other application), an extra space is added between words (and sometimes between letters).  This happens ever five or ten words, and I have to go back and fix the extra space.  Is this a software problem or a hardware problem?  Any fixes?

9.4K Posts

October 31st, 2018 07:00

Hi JMack417,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

First try running a systems diagnostics to check for any hardware issues.  Please run Dell SupportAssist, make a note of any error messages found and post back.

Next, check the computer for any physical signs of damage.  Dust or dirt can block the keystrokes so make sure to blow out the keyboard with canned compressed air.

If all that's good, then try an external USB keyboard.  If that's works ok then it would be a hardware issue.  If the external keyboard has the same problems, then I'd start looking at software issues, probably the OS.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

2 Posts

November 6th, 2018 04:00

I do not have the issue when I use my external keyboard, only when I use the laptop keyboard.  I do not have a warranty in place right now.  It appears others online have had the same issue with the added space.  What has Dell done in the past to fix this issue and how much does that cost?

No Events found!