Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

4 Posts

June 28th, 2022 19:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 13 Plus 9320, Touchpad malfunctioning

Hello,

I very recently received my new XPS 13 Plus 9320. I happily used it for about a week until one the day the haptic feedback from the touchpad suddenly began malfunctioning. It still functions mostly as a mouse (moving, scrolling, clicking), but the feedback only makes a sound and no physical feedback. All feedback intensity settings feel the same except 100% where the touchpad becomes unusable. At 100% intensity the touchpad automatically clicks about every second even when I am not touching it.

I've been in touch with Dell support and have an open ticket but nothing has helped. Restarting comp, resetting settings, reinstalling/updating drivers, restoring comp, and reinstalling windows 11 have not fixed it. Seems likely to be a hardware issue at this point.

Has anyone else experienced this? This issue makes for a poor experience using the touchpad and I am unhappy that a week-old machine would physically break without any apparent trauma.

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 5th, 2023 11:00

Updated on 3/27/2024

Marking as Dell Accepted Solution for visibility.

If you're having trouble with haptic feedback, try the firmware update first, the latest version (2023.12.13.946, A05) can be downloaded here. Please note that if you already tried this and it didn't work, you do not need to reinstall it. 

If the firmware does not help with the haptics or you're having trouble with the touchpad not working correctly, please use the Get Help Now link on the bottom right of this page to contact a DellCares agent. 

The link/image looks like this:  

(edited)

• 

25K Posts

June 28th, 2022 19:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

1 Message

June 29th, 2022 17:00

I am having the same issue, except for it starts on one side of the trackpad. My best guess is that one or more of the haptic motors underneath are malfunctioning in some way.

5 Posts

July 3rd, 2022 18:00

I had the exact same issue on my XPS 13 Plus 9320.  After updating to BIOS 1.4.0 I believe it's been mostly resolved, unless the issue is hardware related but inconsistent.

Given multiple people have the issue, I do suspect it's firmware/driver related though.

July 12th, 2022 23:00

I'm having the same issue here. It happens when you click on the bottom part of the touchpad. Then it's keep clicking & laptop becomes unusable. Is there already a solution? 

July 13th, 2022 01:00

Same issue here. Updating BIOS didn't help. Please help. 

July 13th, 2022 02:00

BIOS Reset did fix the issue for me. I already had version 1.4.0. 

July 13th, 2022 10:00

Dell ended up determining that it was a hardware issue and had a technician replace the palm rest module of my laptop. Initially, this made things worse. The new touchpad was still broken, but in a different way and the computer no longer detects the fingerprint scanner. This morning I found that the touchpad is mostly fine (except for the bottom left corner), which may have something to do with the BIOS update that happened yesterday but I'm not sure. The fingerprint scanner is still unusable. Another technician is supposed to take a look later this week.

July 13th, 2022 10:00

I’m having the exact same issues with the trackpad and want to try a BIOS reset. I’m also already on version 1.4.0. Did you restore to ‘BIOS Defaults’, ‘Last Known Good’ or ‘Factory Defaults’?

July 19th, 2022 20:00

Just returned a 3-day old XPS Plus laptop to Best Buy. The left side of the trackpad began making a noisy click. Within a couple hours of use, the trackpad kept on clicking on its own and even a restart wouldn't make it go away. It continued to happen through a factory reset! I literally shut the lid on a factory reset machine that was clicking away merrily as I packaged it to take back to Best Buy. Such a disappointing experience. The laptop was excellent till it wasn't. 

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2022 17:00

I got the exact same problem. Tech support tried to replace the touchpad but that didn't help. It doesn't always makes a clicking sound and sometimes starts macking them by itself. Today the touchpad stopped working completely (mouse pounter didn't move) until I rebooted the system. 

August 4th, 2022 02:00

@jzimmer605 Did the technician eventually fix the problem? I'm still having issues. As soon as the parts are available a technician is coming to fix the palmrest of my laptop as well. I'm hoping it doesn't worsen the problem like it did with your laptop.

August 4th, 2022 15:00

Update: My palm rest module has been replaced twice. The first time did not fix the issue and seemingly broke the fingerprint sensor. The 2nd replacement fixed the touchpad issue but not the fingerprint sensor. Since the fingerprint sensor is part of the entire palm rest module and it wasn't fixed with the 2nd palm rest replacement, Dell decided they need to replace the entire laptop. They said they are going to send a new machine with the same specs but also with a touch screen (mine is not a touch screen). I'm still waiting for the new machine to ship.

So it's been a fairly long and annoying process and I am really hoping the same issues don't arise with the new machine...

1 Message

August 6th, 2022 08:00

for me this issue started after updating to 1.4 -  not sure yet if ti's related though.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 9th, 2022 13:00

All users on this thread should click the DELL-Cares username. On the resulting page, click "Send this user a private message" and share the private Dell PC Service Tag with them.

Or click on "Get Help Now" at the end of the page.

No Events found!