Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 1st, 2022 07:00

XPS 13 Plus 9320, turns on after shutdown

Hello, I recently bought the XPS 13 Plus 9320 from Dell. I got it August 16 so it hasn’t even been a month of ownership. This problem started yesterday when I did a driver update, When I shutdown the laptop, it turns back on in even when the lid is down and this causes the battery to drain when I come back to use it? I contacted Dell and they went through a couple of things and nothing worked. After the factory reset the product. And still this problem occurs. Do I have a defective product, and what do I do?

3 Posts

September 14th, 2022 21:00

I followed the steps as presented by Dell-Chris M and described by peterwbaker as above and I fixed the issue. In my experience of having system restarting many times, the critical notes in fixing this are: (1) to disable the Auto BIOS Update when install BIOS 1.6.0, and (2) using the right-click mouse command "Run as Administrator".

Hope this helps.

September 26th, 2022 21:00

I downloaded 1.8.1  and it did indeed fix the issue. No problems here.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 13th, 2022 13:00

For one user, we found out that they were installing the BIOS 1.7.1 on battery only. In my opinion, that should never be done.

If you currently have BIOS 1.7.1 installed =
* Connect the provided external power adapter to the Laptop
* The Laptop is not connected to any dock, external monitor, printer, drives, etc.
* Download/save BIOS 1.6.0 to the Windows Desktop
* Download/save BIOS 1.7.1 to the Windows Desktop
* Right click BIOS 1.6.0 and Run as administrator
* When done, the Laptop will restart
* Once back on the Windows Desktop, right click BIOS 1.7.1 and Run as administrator
* When done, the Laptop will restart

Then test.

Update = All users should be testing the newer BIOS releases.

1.9.0 was released on November 4, 2022
1.8.1 was released on September 23, 2022

1 Message

September 1st, 2022 09:00

Same situation, same problem. Please, could you help!

1 Message

September 1st, 2022 16:00

I have the same issue. I have tried doing a hard reset and reinstalling the operating system, but it's still occurring. It takes a few seconds, but every time I shut it down it starts back up again, whether or not the lid is closed.

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2022 04:00

Had the same problem and it appears the BIOS update also reset the close lid settings - they were all set to sleep - I changed them and had the power button to shutdown not sleep and close lid settings to hibernate (only as I know what sales staff are like they always escape by just closing the lid instead of shutting pc down). it solved the problem.

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2022 06:00

False Alarm - still does it - gonna bios downgrade, may have to select the enable uefi capsule firmware update to stop this occuring until dell come with an actual solution..

2 Posts

September 5th, 2022 09:00

same here.. i've been trying to shut it down but I couldn't.. it's a premium device with stupid issues. 

i really like the device but with battery, and now this issue, it's not getting me anywhere.

come on dell fix it 

1 Message

September 6th, 2022 19:00

I am having the same problem. The system will turn on automatically after 30 second of shutdown. The battery was fully charged to 100% and shutdown with lip closed on the 5th Sep but the battery still drianed during shutdown, when switched on this morning (7 Sep) the battery is 76% only. 

isGYS_0-1662516839647.png

September 7th, 2022 16:00

After about an hour and a half with support wasting my time, they determined that the board has an issue. I was on bios v 1.7.1 and decided to try to downgrade to 1.6.0. The problem has since stopped.

2 Posts

September 8th, 2022 02:00

after contacted with dell, they tried different solutions, but the one worked for me is (taking off the ac adapter, and dissemble the battery then hold the power button 30 seconds, then reassemble the battery)

1 Message

September 8th, 2022 06:00

Guys, you need to downgrade to August 10 BIOS 1.6.0 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. It will resolve the issues. We had the same problem where we are mobile with our device and battery is dependent especially where we have no power mains.

457 Posts

September 8th, 2022 23:00

We shouldn't have to downgrade the BIOS to fix the problem. Dell should release another BIOS update that patches the problem. Dell staff has yet to respond to this forum post even though I opened a support request and gave them notice about this forum post. 

1 Message

September 11th, 2022 07:00

I bought the laptop 29 August it was great until the last update 

it turns on immediately after 30 i shut it down and became very very warm 

the battery keep draining because the laoptop dont get off 

it s a real problem 

can you help ???

3 Posts

September 12th, 2022 02:00

I followed Dell's technical supports and tried to downgrade the BIOS, and problem solved. But when I used the XPS 13 Plus next time, it automatically upgrade BIOS and the same thing happened: the system automatic restarts when shutting down both the cases the lid opening or closing. A factory reset costs time for backing up my work and I may have to keep an eye not to have the XPS automatic upgrade BIOS. May be another BIOS update solved the problem?

My recent solution is to press the power button to go to Sleep mode without Shutting down. The next time, I restart the system for a fresh working condition.

No Events found!