XPS

Last reply by 03-10-2019 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze

XPS 13 Touchscreen Stopped Working

Hello,
The screen first shows the Dell logo at boot. I can get to the Windows boot menu if I boot to Safe Mode. It won't accept my password though.

I've updated the BIOS and done all the Windows Updates. The origin of this was I closed the laptop normally, gently rested it on my couch, re-opened and it stopped working. I'm writing this on the external monitor but I really need the portability. After this started, it worked OK twice, but starting failing again after I closed the lid. When I remove the USB-C cable the touchscreen's backlight illuminates to a gray.

I usually like Dell's stuff but this is ridiculous. The laptop is just over a year old so how could I ever buy another Dell product? Any ideas?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze

Found the culprit. It's the display adapter. The problem reappeared after reformatting my computer and after the adapter was updated through Windows Update. That changed the Display adapter in the Device Manager from "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" to an "Intel(R) Iris(R) Graphics 540" which again caused the issue. I again reformatted and installed the Intel display adapter from Dell's website via USB stick. Again, the laptop's touchscreen stopped working. But because I installed the Intel driver from the USB stick and not Windows Update, I was able to roll back the driver to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and now my laptop's touchscreen is working again without any issues. This took me about 20 hours to figure out and get everything back to normal. As if that wasn't annoying enough, the comment to "contact the Dell out of warranty department...for replacement of the touchscreeen" has proven to be bad advice.

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Replies (5)

tg183,

Which specific xps 13 do you have? Dell has many xps 13 laptops. Run the diags on the touchscreen by following the information below.

How to Run Diagnostic Test on a Dell Laptop LCD?

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

Alright, I followed the instructions for Method 1. During the boot the screen blinked from red, to green, to blue, to black over and over. The screen is clean and there were no abnormalities. 

The touchscreen and external monitor are set to Duplicate mode in Windows 10. Oddly enough the touchscreen can still be used as an input device even though there's no display on it.

Hopefully you got my Service Tag Number over private message. What else should I try? Thank you.

tg183,

You will need to contact the Dell out of warranty department at the link below for replacement of the touchscreen.

Support 

Can you tell me more about how you reached that conclusion? Your limited response doesn’t give me much confidence that this would actually fix the problem. 

2 Bronze

Found the culprit. It's the display adapter. The problem reappeared after reformatting my computer and after the adapter was updated through Windows Update. That changed the Display adapter in the Device Manager from "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" to an "Intel(R) Iris(R) Graphics 540" which again caused the issue. I again reformatted and installed the Intel display adapter from Dell's website via USB stick. Again, the laptop's touchscreen stopped working. But because I installed the Intel driver from the USB stick and not Windows Update, I was able to roll back the driver to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and now my laptop's touchscreen is working again without any issues. This took me about 20 hours to figure out and get everything back to normal. As if that wasn't annoying enough, the comment to "contact the Dell out of warranty department...for replacement of the touchscreeen" has proven to be bad advice.

Community Accepted Solution
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions