Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2018 08:00

XPS 13 brightness has completely stopped working

I am completely unable to adjust the brightness of my XPS 13 laptop through either the keyboard buttons or the control panel slider. Repeated attempts to make the brightness keys respond will freeze the computer for a few seconds. Bizarrely the pop up slider that is displayed still works, it just in no way reflects what is actually happening. 

1 Message

April 19th, 2019 08:00

Hey guys,

I think I found a way to solve this problem permanently. (update the graphics driver to Version: 26.20.100.6709 )

As the previous threads discussed, the key problem is the graphics driver. It seems the latest version of the graphics driver can solve the problem. You can find it from Intel (don't download from Dell, that's the driver cause the problem):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28731/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=96551

However, you'll find you can't install it due to some reasons. So here is how I solve this problem. 

1. download the zip file of the driver from the above link

2. unzip it

3. go to the "Device Manager" (right click "this PC"--"properties")

4. go to your "Display adapters"--"Intel HD Graphics 620"--double clickAnnotation 2019-04-19 113748.jpg

5. go to "Driver"--"update driver" and choose"browse my computer for driver software"

6. guide it to your unzip file folderAnnotation 2019-04-19 114349.jpg

7. let the system install the driver, and then restart your system. It should fix the problem. 

• 

16.7K Posts

May 30th, 2018 05:00

Slammpage,

Click the link below to choose your computer and Operating System. You can update the Video card drivers in your system. If needed, uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers in your computer.

Support.dell.com

January 21st, 2019 02:00

Same issue after Win 10 October Update. Tried to reinstall driver, then OK for few hours. Now again brightness not working. Tried also to reinstall PnP monitor. Intel 620 driver: 28/02/2018 23.20.16.4973 Thanks for any help

• 

16.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 08:00

g.becattini,

Reinstall the chipset drivers, reboot and then install the video card drivers back into the system. If that does not work roll back the previous windows update.

Choose your system from the link below to download the drivers.

https://dell.to/2R1DNAd

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

January 22nd, 2019 14:00

Same here, it stopped, Im unable of changing brightness neither from the keyboard nor the control panel. Its been a couple of weeks since this issue began.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 04:00

elunicotomas,
Perform the same steps as mentioned in my reply to the user on this thread.

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

140 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 08:00

I found a workaround that seems to get this working again.  I went into the BIOS and under the brightness setting increased the brightness setting for the screen to the maximum for when it was plugged into power.  Saved that and restarted and now I can adjust screen brightness again using the F12 and F11 keys.

5 Posts

January 25th, 2019 12:00

Same problem here.

I don't know if it can help, but i noticed that the brightness stop working after using apps like netflix, skygo etc...

If I reboot the system the buttons work again.

Could you help me please?

5 Posts

January 28th, 2019 13:00

I downgraded the driver to the old Intel-HD-620-and-Iris-Graphics-640_JK74J_WIN_22.20.16.4708_A06 and now it works.

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 18:00

I uninstalled the last Windows update and my brightness control is back. Hopefully forever. Simple fix here.

February 2nd, 2019 08:00

I am trying almost everything except going back to old Windows (now I have W10 pro 1809). Nothing works.

If I reinstall the chipset driver, it works again untill... something that I don't know that again make the brightness controls useless.

Video driver is 23.20.16.4973 28/feb/2018

By the way: I have also an XPS15 9550 that has the same Win version and it has no problem.

247 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 06:00

So here's what fixed brightness adjust for me. I went into Device Manager and uninstalled graphic driver and selected to delete driver from PC. Then I restarted PC and let Windows update install driver 25.20.100.6323. This has fixed brightness control. I also uninstalled Dell Update app because I am concerned it will install the bad driver again. Both Dell drivers are older and I don't think they work with Win 10 1809. 

247 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 06:00

I find it interesting that Dell update installs a different version on Intel graphics then what's on their web site for same model? Also add to the mix Windows 10 1809 has begun to install a universal type driver that is distributed through Windows updates. Causing havoc itself and so far all of the drivers for Intel graphics on my XPS 13 9360 have caused some sort of issue. Right now my brightness will not adjust at all without a reboot and that does not last very long. Is it really this hard to engineer a graphics driver that works for Intel??? Or is Win 10 1809 that messed up that its causing all these driver issues. This is the last time I buy a premium laptop, obviously Dell can't seem to provide any better support for it. 

February 13th, 2019 10:00

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Not sure if my brightness stopped working from a recent update I did on the system, or it was triggered by the charging cord?? But the brightness on my laptop stopped working a few days ago.

I went on the Dell Support website, downloaded the "Intel HD 620 and Iris Graphics 640" which was all the way down at the bottom on the list of drivers, and installed it. Once installed and restarted, it worked perfectly fine and it adjusted the brightness to where it works properly now.

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK:

One small solution that can help is, if you right click anywhere on your desktop screen, scroll down to "Intel Graphics Settings", click on it and wait for the program to load. Then click "Display" and "Brightness" and that should somewhat help if it's too dim. Otherwise, check the support section or get in contact with a rep.

February 20th, 2019 17:00

Not working in my case, or better... as in the case of chipset driver, reinstallation of video driver works perfectly ...for some time.

Then something happens that triggers again the problem and you are again without the brightness control.

No Events found!