Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2018 08:00

XPS 13 brightness has completely stopped working

I am completely unable to adjust the brightness of my XPS 13 laptop through either the keyboard buttons or the control panel slider. Repeated attempts to make the brightness keys respond will freeze the computer for a few seconds. Bizarrely the pop up slider that is displayed still works, it just in no way reflects what is actually happening. 

5 Posts

May 1st, 2019 18:00

Several days later this is the longest time my new 9360 has worked since I bought it. This driver update fixed the problem.

Hours on the phone, and a week sending it to Dell, all failed, this simple driver update solved a problem that many seem to have. Not sure why Dell support couldn't find this, or why they are reluctant to reach outside their bag of toys for a solution.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 23:00

Thank you! It worked.

1 Message

May 8th, 2019 12:00

this fixed my issue!!  Thanks so much for this! finally, after 6 months of messing with my system, reimaging, etc.

1 Message

May 29th, 2019 14:00

paranoidozzy, Thank you so much. After much searching for and filtering of "great solutions" this one worked - the first one I actually trusted enough to try. Shades off, screen brightness frustrations over. Although I do wonder how these basic things get broken so easily. Thank you again, for taking the time to detail the steps so well ;)

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2019 03:00

Thank you very much! This worked like a charm! Instantly after installing the driver, I can adjust the brightness, even without a restart. Thanks for saving my eye sight!

PS: Here is the steps that i followed from another user, paranaoidozzy on at page 3

Hey guys,

I think I found a way to solve this problem permanently. (update the graphics driver to Version: 26.20.100.6709 )

As the previous threads discussed, the key problem is the graphics driver. It seems the latest version of the graphics driver can solve the problem. You can find it from Intel (don't download from Dell, that's the driver cause the problem):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28731/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=96551

However, you'll find you can't install it due to some reasons. So here is how I solve this problem. 

1. download the zip file of the driver from the above link

2. unzip it

3. go to the "Device Manager" (right click "this PC"--"properties")

4. go to your "Display adapters"--"Intel HD Graphics 620"--double clickAnnotation 2019-04-19 113748.jpg

5. go to "Driver"--"update driver" and choose"browse my computer for driver software"

6. guide it to your unzip file folderAnnotation 2019-04-19 114349.jpg

7. let the system install the driver, and then restart your system. It should fix the problem. 

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2019 19:00

Thanks for sharing a fix for this.  The problem was resolved as soon as the new driver installed.

June 6th, 2019 04:00

@SreejithR  I don't understand why this driver isn't updated by the Dell Update client? I had exactly the same issue and the new driver solves this, so why isn't this driver pushed to your customers?

1 Message

June 14th, 2019 00:00

I am facing this issue since 2 months. Is anyone at Dell looking into this issue and working on a official fix ?

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 13:00

Huge thanks paraonoidozzy! This even got solved my night light problem !! -latest 26.20.100.6890 version installed-

1-Day later EDIT: brightness is well working but night light is yet no longer working... But I read it was more a windows 10 related issue.

1 Message

June 24th, 2019 12:00

Thanks a lot paraonoidozzy - fixed it for me too.

Disappointed that Dell have got this wrong, has rather dented their reputation with me in that I had to spend time searching for a fix that shouldn't have been needed if they had done their job properly.  I'm hoping of course that the fault doesn't re-occur.  

6 Posts

September 18th, 2019 03:00

My system suddenly has the external mic no longer working, hibernate no longer working, and brightness buttons no longer working. This must be perhaps the 10th time this has happened now since I bought the laptop back in 2017. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!

No Events found!