Curious Plug
1 Copper

XPS 13 power cable issues

I purchased an XPS 13 approximately 3 years ago. In this time I have purchased 4 extra power cables that have all broken, and the rate of their self destruction seems to be increasing. The last two I purchased I am intending to return to the store as they are less than a year old (actually one is less than a week old but my fiancée had to get a new one for me as the other one broke when I was on a work trip and I needed access to files the evening I returned so I was unable to return it before getting a new one; and now I have to go to the shop with two broken power cables which I’m sure will be popular!)

Obviously the rate of these cables breaking is concerning. The light just stops working and the cable stops charging. The fuse is always fine and no other electrical device has any problems; the last two leads have broken in different cities so this rules out the mains supply. There is no physical damage at all and they have not been dropped, kicked or had any other thing happen to them that could cause them to break.

I suspect there is a design flaw in these cables so am wondering if it is possible to purchase a non-Dell cable that is ok for my laptop so I don’t have to keep wasting money/time on this problem?

Or is there any possibility the laptop itself may be causing the problem?

any help on this would be appreciated as I like the laptop but the cables are becoming a joke.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: XPS 13 power cable issues

Hi Curious Plug,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Where are you purchasing these "power cables"?  and are you purchasing directly from Dell?  

The OEM model is available from Dell spare parts, and only OEM parts are recommended.  If an adapter purchased from a non-Dell authorized reseller and the computer shows sign of damage from an unauthorized part, it's possible the warranty may not be honored.

If the system is performing normally on battery, and with a new adapter, please run SupportAssist, make a note of any error messages, and post back.  If no errors are encountered, perhaps the adapter is at fault.  Be sure you are using an OEM adapter.

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately.  Be sure to include your personal information and your computer's service tag number.  Thanks.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
attyezell
1 Copper

I have had the same issue with Dell OEM ac adaptor. I'm about to replace it for the 4th unit. Dell should come up with a better response than this.

Johnnythegeek
3 Argentium

I just wonder if you power supply is causing these failures? Especially since you have gone through so many it raises red flags. At least in my experience with many notebooks over the years I have not had any problems with any of the power adapters. When you go through that many adapters its time to start thinking about other issues. Possibly the notebook itself or the quality of power supplying the adapter. 

0 Kudos
Monferrato
2 Bronze

I have a similar problem with the charger device of the XPS 13 9360 (Dell 45 AC Adapter) that my daughter is using for her study. The AC charger delivered with the laptop broke (the cable between the adapter main body and the laptop was damaged) after one year, soon after the warranty had ended. A second one which I bought in the meantime has now clear signs of similar damage . So far it works, but it may not last long.
The point where the damage occurs is always the same, it is where the cable connects to the body of the adapter (see the picture here below). The attachment design between cable and adapter main body is allowing small movements of the cable itself which end up in damaging the cable.Dell 45W AC Adapetr.jpgDell Ac 45W Adapter

0 Kudos
Curious Plug
1 Copper

I think it is unlikely that it is the mains supply. As previously stated the adapters have failed in different countries; in the UK when I lived in London and in the Czech Republic when I lived in Prague. This means it’s far more likely to be the adaptor or the laptop. Either way that would make it an issue with a Dell product.
0 Kudos
KLW034
1 Copper

I’m having the exact same issue with my power cord!  Dell should really replace these cords for people or at least discount them since clearly there is a major design flaw.

0 Kudos

KLW034,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number. If your system is out of warranty click here

0 Kudos