Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

January 27th, 2020 08:00

XPS 15 7590 DPC latency

I have read online that the Dell XPS 15 7590 i7-9750H suffers of DSP latency. Are these issues now resolved?

I have read that you could for instance upgrade the BIOS. thank you!

• 

25K Posts

January 28th, 2020 02:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to write back whenever you are available.

February 9th, 2020 19:00

I need to know if the XPS 15 still has known latency issues when used with DAWs (reaper) for music production. I'd like to confirm the current state of this known issue before I potentially make a very expensive mistake.

489 Posts

February 10th, 2020 07:00

Look around internet for LatencyMON results and ask at Gearsluz or other audio forums. Generally, better do not expect laptops with high specs but weak cooling to be good for DAW - ACPI.sys spikes often reported. 

2 Posts

February 11th, 2020 14:00

I am currently experiencing latency issues with reaper on my 7590 which I bought last month. I'm trying to troubleshoot with battery/performance settings in windows to see how these affect latencymon. As of now, everything will record fine for the most part, but every 30 minutes some service runs that causes audio to stutter for a second. I'm going to keep tinkering with settings and see if there's anything I can to improve latency. 

I have the i7-9750 with 16GB of RAM. 

3 Posts

February 12th, 2020 19:00

Looks like I made a mistake, I just bought new dell xps 15 7590

by reading online it looks like dell having some issue with the audio DPC latency for some of their laptops that using realtek audio cards.

I will get my laptop soon and will run a few sessions with abelton, if there is a problem I guess a return is the best solution? I will keep you posed. 

2 Posts

February 13th, 2020 11:00

Good luck. I have been dealing with Dells support trying to get mine returned and they have been nothing but a pain. They swear up an down this is a software issue. I would have never purchased if I knew about this. I honestly discourage anyone from buying a dell if this is how their customer service is.

My advice is to return as soon as possible. It spending $2000 on an "ultrabook" that can't handle the audio software I've been using on my 5 year old lenovo that had an i5-6200.

Just as a heads up, the issue that plagues mine involves nvidia drivers that run every ~30 minutes. So it may seem fine at first but let latencymon keep running to see it. 

489 Posts

February 14th, 2020 04:00

> by reading online it looks like dell having some issue with the audio DPC latency for some of their laptops that using realtek audio cards.

I don't think this is an issue with Realtek cards, although some users reported improvements using other DAW hardware/drivers, asio4all, etc. LatencyMon typically reports acpi.sys, which is power interface driver. 

Make sure you do your research and tests before the return window runs out. 

3 Posts

February 16th, 2020 12:00

I guess its not worth even to try, return it and buy some other model or brand, seems to be a lot of people complains on that issue, is dell fixed that issue? new bios? new drivers? 

3 Posts

February 18th, 2020 10:00

So here is update for everyone who seek a solution to that issue.

Bios has been updated, drivers updated ALL of them, disabled a few things that still running in the background and still having DPC Latency. the solution was really simple, returned the "ultra laptop" and bought the KING (MAC).

thank you DELL but I got my burn from you, I promise you one thing - I won't go DELL anymore.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 19th, 2020 09:00

I have an older (8th gen i5 CPU) Inspiron 15 5577 that Dell sold as a gaming laptop.  I bought it to use for off-site recordings in my recording studio with Sonar/Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One 4.6 Pro.   I tried to "clean up" the PC for recording and I thought it was going to be OK.  I did some test recordings in the studio of about 5 minutes and it was OK.  I set up to record a local band's 3 hour gig but ran into a dropout about every 8 minutes.

The PC came with an M.2 SSD and space to add either a laptop hard drive or a full size SSD.  I had a full size SSD so I installed that and installed Win 10 on the SSD as a dual boot with the original Dell disc image.  The second Win 10 only has the OS, needed hardware device drivers and my DAW software and drivers for recording hardware.  The second Win 10 works perfectly as a DAW.  I've run Resplendence Latency Mon for over an hour and it was clean.  I did another live band recording (3 hour gig) and NO problems with the recording.

I now have, as mentioned, dual boot.  If I want to use it for regular PC operations or internet I boot to the Dell disc image.  If I want to use it as a DAW I boot to the second Win 10.

A comment on "DPC Latency"  The DPC Latency Checker program is invalid for Win 10 (or Win so do not use that.  Only use the Resplendence Latency Mon program.

https://resplendence.com/latencymon

2 Posts

March 31st, 2020 19:00

Bought my Dell XPS 7590 with i7 9750H, 16GB RAM, OLED 4K display, 1TB SSD last week.

I've installed all updates (BIOS, Win10, graphics...) and this is what I got from LatencyMon:

dpc_latency_2.png

dpc_latency.png

I really like this machine, BUT:

1. It has terrible coil whine issue - when I heard that sound for the first time, I thought it will start burning or something...

2. It has screen flickering issue, which as I found out, is not an issue.
- this is funny: https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln319174/xps-7590-precision-5540-uhd-panel-may-flicker-at-low-brightness?lang=en
- and this is even more funny: https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln318156/xps-7590-precision-5540-the-oled-panel-luminance-changes-based-on-its-display-pattern?lang=en

3. It has DPC latency issue, which I thought Dell solved since last generation, but unfortunately... NO.

So, after a week I finally decided to return it and get a refund. I didn't expect such problems on 2000€ laptop. Even one of my previous 10-year old laptop doesn't have such problems. If Dell solves these problems, I am willing to consider it in the future, but... as I see from last 3 generations, probably nothing will change.

I just can't get it, how so many people don't care about these problems and still buy Dell XPS despite them...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 1st, 2020 03:00

Sorry I didn't get the time to resolve the Latency issue.  With the other problems returning it was the best option.

I have field tested several new Dell XPS laptops and other than Latency (that can be resolved) I haven't run into any of the problems you have.   

I do some support on general PC forums and Latency can be an issue on any brand, not just a "Dell problem".

19 Posts

May 8th, 2020 22:00

Hi,

I need to join this thread.

XPS 15 9560 i7 2.8 GHz 32MB ram.  I use Adobe Audition and Steinberg UR22. 

It does the dropouts. It also does some momentary timestretche type thing on playback, but that I can ignore.  I bought it a few years ago and took my time migrating my audio work onto it, so returning it is not an option.   I've been in hell for more than a year. 

I was trying airplane mode thinking it was background internet related, but no help.  I thought it was ASIO drives vs non-ASIO, nope.  I thought it was sleep (I did find the monitor flicker interrupted my recording but I tweaked the power settings and that stopped).  I'm not good enough in Win10 to tweak it any further.  So I don't think I will be doing any dual booting or alternate graphics drivers.  That would be another years worth of misery for me.  I've already tortured everybody at the Adobe forum

Every recording I make that is 15 mins or more I have to painfully scrutinize every measure, because I will lose about 1/2 a second, and ~2 beats will be missing - sneaky!  Then fix it by copy pasting, sometimes insanely difficult or not possible, depending.  Sometimes I don't check 100% and find out later.  Suffice it to say, this makes me insane.  And I have software licenses committed to this laptop which will each be torture to transfer.  Thanks for listening.  I hate this beautiful fast shiny computer

-----

What is a good laptop to move into from here?  Please let me know if you have found something good, (maybe with more than 2 usb ports).  

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 9th, 2020 03:00

As I previously mentioned, its not just a "Dell problem", I see latency and audio issues posted of other brands.

I can't say what to recommend for a DAW machine other than possibly buying one from a DAW PC builder.  That is going to be a more expensive route.

The other option is what I have with dual boot system. Studio One 4.6 Professional and Cakewalk by Bandlab run with no problems.  My recording interface (an MOTU 4pre USB) works perfectly and with low latency.  

Avoid systems with Ryzen CPU's as I currently see more latency and audio problems on these systems.  A comment from a DAW PC builder goes along with this.  His take, Intel for audio/DAW processing and Ryzen for gaming.

2 Posts

May 9th, 2020 14:00

Well, I would recommend buying a desktop PC... I use my old desktop during quarantine and I have no problem with DPC latency. 

No, seriously... I'm still looking for a new laptop (for about 4 months now), but I still haven't found any suitable machine.   Maybe I just have high expectations - 14-15" FHD/2K display, thin, powerful, with dedicated graphics, thin bezels, high color accuracy, good battery time... and of course without weird noises, DPC latency, screen flickering, excessive overheating... I don't know, Dell XPS was one of the best candidates until I found those "details". Friends tell me to buy a MacBook Pro, but I'd rather live with a non-iOS system. 

Well...  there may be a chance that these problems will be avoided in Dell XPS 15 2020 edition. But I don't know if I would buy Dell XPS again... once bitten, twice shy. 

No Events found!