XPS

Last reply by 05-20-2020 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
1 Copper

XPS 15 7590 DPC latency

I have read online that the Dell XPS 15 7590 i7-9750H suffers of DSP latency. Are these issues now resolved?

I have read that you could for instance upgrade the BIOS. thank you!

Replies (23)

I have an older (8th gen i5 CPU) Inspiron 15 5577 that Dell sold as a gaming laptop.  I bought it to use for off-site recordings in my recording studio with Sonar/Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One 4.6 Pro.   I tried to "clean up" the PC for recording and I thought it was going to be OK.  I did some test recordings in the studio of about 5 minutes and it was OK.  I set up to record a local band's 3 hour gig but ran into a dropout about every 8 minutes.

The PC came with an M.2 SSD and space to add either a laptop hard drive or a full size SSD.  I had a full size SSD so I installed that and installed Win 10 on the SSD as a dual boot with the original Dell disc image.  The second Win 10 only has the OS, needed hardware device drivers and my DAW software and drivers for recording hardware.  The second Win 10 works perfectly as a DAW.  I've run Resplendence Latency Mon for over an hour and it was clean.  I did another live band recording (3 hour gig) and NO problems with the recording.

I now have, as mentioned, dual boot.  If I want to use it for regular PC operations or internet I boot to the Dell disc image.  If I want to use it as a DAW I boot to the second Win 10.

A comment on "DPC Latency"  The DPC Latency Checker program is invalid for Win 10 (or Win so do not use that.  Only use the Resplendence Latency Mon program.

https://resplendence.com/latencymon

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i9 9900K CPU

Windows 11 64 bit Pro  SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

2 Bronze

Bought my Dell XPS 7590 with i7 9750H, 16GB RAM, OLED 4K display, 1TB SSD last week.

I've installed all updates (BIOS, Win10, graphics...) and this is what I got from LatencyMon:

dpc_latency_2.png

dpc_latency.png

I really like this machine, BUT:

1. It has terrible coil whine issue - when I heard that sound for the first time, I thought it will start burning or something...

2. It has screen flickering issue, which as I found out, is not an issue.
- this is funny: https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln319174/xps-7590-precision-5540-uhd-panel-may-flicker-a...
- and this is even more funny: https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln318156/xps-7590-precision-5540-the-oled-panel-luminanc...

3. It has DPC latency issue, which I thought Dell solved since last generation, but unfortunately... NO.

So, after a week I finally decided to return it and get a refund. I didn't expect such problems on 2000€ laptop. Even one of my previous 10-year old laptop doesn't have such problems. If Dell solves these problems, I am willing to consider it in the future, but... as I see from last 3 generations, probably nothing will change.

I just can't get it, how so many people don't care about these problems and still buy Dell XPS despite them...

Sorry I didn't get the time to resolve the Latency issue.  With the other problems returning it was the best option.

I have field tested several new Dell XPS laptops and other than Latency (that can be resolved) I haven't run into any of the problems you have.   

I do some support on general PC forums and Latency can be an issue on any brand, not just a "Dell problem".

I am not a Dell Employee

Windows 11 64 bit Pro  SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

2 Bronze

Hi,

I need to join this thread.

XPS 15 9560 i7 2.8 GHz 32MB ram.  I use Adobe Audition and Steinberg UR22. 

It does the dropouts. It also does some momentary timestretche type thing on playback, but that I can ignore.  I bought it a few years ago and took my time migrating my audio work onto it, so returning it is not an option.   I've been in hell for more than a year. 

I was trying airplane mode thinking it was background internet related, but no help.  I thought it was ASIO drives vs non-ASIO, nope.  I thought it was sleep (I did find the monitor flicker interrupted my recording but I tweaked the power settings and that stopped).  I'm not good enough in Win10 to tweak it any further.  So I don't think I will be doing any dual booting or alternate graphics drivers.  That would be another years worth of misery for me.  I've already tortured everybody at the Adobe forum

Every recording I make that is 15 mins or more I have to painfully scrutinize every measure, because I will lose about 1/2 a second, and ~2 beats will be missing - sneaky!  Then fix it by copy pasting, sometimes insanely difficult or not possible, depending.  Sometimes I don't check 100% and find out later.  Suffice it to say, this makes me insane.  And I have software licenses committed to this laptop which will each be torture to transfer.  Thanks for listening.  I hate this beautiful fast shiny computer

-----

What is a good laptop to move into from here?  Please let me know if you have found something good, (maybe with more than 2 usb ports).  

Dell XPS15, 32GB RAM, 1 TB (25% full)
Win10 64bit
Steinberg UR22
Adobe Audition 12.1.5.3
All my software is legit

As I previously mentioned, its not just a "Dell problem", I see latency and audio issues posted of other brands.

I can't say what to recommend for a DAW machine other than possibly buying one from a DAW PC builder.  That is going to be a more expensive route.

The other option is what I have with dual boot system. Studio One 4.6 Professional and Cakewalk by Bandlab run with no problems.  My recording interface (an MOTU 4pre USB) works perfectly and with low latency.  

Avoid systems with Ryzen CPU's as I currently see more latency and audio problems on these systems.  A comment from a DAW PC builder goes along with this.  His take, Intel for audio/DAW processing and Ryzen for gaming.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Well, I would recommend buying a desktop PC... I use my old desktop during quarantine and I have no problem with DPC latency. 

No, seriously... I'm still looking for a new laptop (for about 4 months now), but I still haven't found any suitable machine.  Maybe I just have high expectations - 14-15" FHD/2K display, thin, powerful, with dedicated graphics, thin bezels, high color accuracy, good battery time... and of course without weird noises, DPC latency, screen flickering, excessive overheating... I don't know, Dell XPS was one of the best candidates until I found those "details". Friends tell me to buy a MacBook Pro, but I'd rather live with a non-iOS system. 

Well...  there may be a chance that these problems will be avoided in Dell XPS 15 2020 edition. But I don't know if I would buy Dell XPS again... once bitten, twice shy. 

I hope everyone is coping well and staying safe during this pandemic.

I've had a weird experience with my 2018 Dell XPS 15 9570 - I'm a mobile DJ that used to use Serato DJ Pro (a widely-used DJ software for those that don't know), which on the whole ran better on the XPS than it did when I was using my previous 2012 Macbook Pro.  I changed equipment to a standalone system, however I've gone back to using Serato with my Dell XPS 9570 and a nice new controller...or at least I've tried to.

I've started having occasional audio dropouts when using Serato, it's been hard to replicate it exactly.  I was worried that it might be my controller (which acts as an audio interface over USB), but I couldn't replicate the issue with my studio PC that has a 1st gen Ryzen 5 CPU, which is bizarre. I tried different USB ports (including USB C) and I even tried a different controller that I had lying around, and I keep getting these random dropouts.  The scrolling waveforms freeze, and the audio does a repeating glitch at the point where it happens, and then it eventually reorients itself.  As a DJ that intends on doing more wedding events when the world gets back to a sense of normality, I can't this to happen in the middle of an event!!

Can anybody comment on how/why this would only have been happening since trying the laptop after a many-month absence of using it, considering before I never had any issues?  I'm perplexed - I've tried many consumer-grade variables (BIOS options, power usage profiles etc), but nothing's got it back to it's previously decent working state.  I'm comforted (very mildly) by @fireberd 's comment that it's not specifically a Dell issue, which gives me hope that it may be rectifiable, but I don't know what to think.

Just noting that I also had the same issues using Serato Lite with a Mixtrack Pro 3, on my Dell XPS 15.  Random freezes and the digital audio stretching type noises where it grinds for half a second.

Since the Mixtrack functions as an audio interface, this helped me believe that the problem was *not* solely due to my normal usb interface (UR22).  I couldnt figure out what underlying factor was affecting all audio regardless of audio device. 

I moved my recording activities to my 8 year old Macbook, but I dont know if Ill be able to run Serato on it.  On the other hand, I'm learning a lot about Macbook this week as I assess what is compatible.  Apparently Audition and Cubase both run on mac and I've gotten Audition to record audio through UR22 in OSX 10.12 Sierra.  But that is another topic    Still shopping for a new laptop that can do audio. 
Dell XPS15, 32GB RAM, 1 TB (25% full)
Win10 64bit
Steinberg UR22
Adobe Audition 12.1.5.3
All my software is legit

Hi everyone,

Following up from my first message a couple of weeks ago, I'm happy to say I've resolved my issue that I had with using my 2018 Dell XPS 15 with Serato DJ Pro!  I can't exactly remember where my digging lead me to success, but I'm pretty sure it started with a youtube search that yielded similar users with similar experiences.  In short, it was recommended to disable or get rid of all Dell and Adobe software.  I had reasoned that it should have been a software issue causing my audio latency pops, given that everything was operating normally in the months preceding me using the laptop as a primary-audio device.  Also my DJ software (Serato DJ) hadn't been updated to the point where it would cause so much instability, especially given my hardware configuration - and given I was preparing to do an OS refresh/reset to try to mitigate the problem, I opted to do a clean reinstall of Windows.

I uninstalled everything with the name Dell on it, and after a decent amount of testing, Serato is working perfectly now.  I still have the concerning latency monitoring numbers that I had before, but it's not translating into performance issues when practicing live.  I'm testing things out to a much longer timeframe compared to when I'd routinely get audio problems (usually within ten-fifteen minutes), so I'm happy to assume this is the fix I wanted.  I'll be testing whether I'm able to do multitrack recording using my Focusrite USB 3 interface without problems, but at least for now I'm getting the results I want - both with and without using the AC adaptor.

Good report.  Sort of how I got my Dell laptop cleaned up for my recording studio.  But as mentioned instead of getting rid of Dell and whatever, I did a dual boot installation and the second Win 10 only has needed drivers and my recording studio apps.  

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions