Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2022 00:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 15 7590, Memory Integrity on causes an inaccessible boot device

Hey all,

Just wanted to report a minor bug with a fresh install on Windows 11 22H2 on XPS 15 7590.

When trying to turn on Memory Integrity under Device Security / Core Isolation, upon next reboot i get a blue screen with Inaccessible Boot Device.

Yes, I'm using the latest Intel Chipset Drivers and XPS 15 7590 firmware.

Yes my Windows 11 is up to date.

expired on August 2, 2020. DELL-Admin>

4 Posts

September 28th, 2022 10:00

Disabling Virtualization --> VT for Direct I/O also allowed Memory Integrity to be enabled. I suspect those having issues upgrading to 22H2 should be able to if they disable VT for Direct I/O only leaving Virtualization Enabled.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 20th, 2023 06:00

Update January 27, 2023. The platform team told us this morning that they cannot capture these due to the age of the model. This means that we only have the following workarounds.

On the XPS 15 7590, if Memory Integrity is Enabled, you will see the issue of unresponsiveness with an inaccessible device when updating to Windows 11 22H2.

* Go to Windows Settings
* Click Privacy & security
* Click Windows Security
* Click Device security
* Click Core isolation details
* Switch Memory integrity to Off
* Once the change is made restart the Laptop
* Once back into Windows, start the update to Windows 11 22H2

If you still have issue updating to Windows 11 22H2 =
* Restart and press F2 to enter the BIOS
* Go to Virtualization Support
* Remove the check from Enable VT for Direct I/O
* Exit the BIOS and return to Windows
* Start the update to Windows 11 22H2. If the update is successful, go back into the BIOS and add the check back to Enable VT for Direct I/O

isProTip

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 05:00

When you try to turn on Memory Integrity it does not ask you to check for drivers?

MemInteg.jpg

5 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 21:00

I have the same problem. There are no incompatible drivers. 

16 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 22:00

In fact the whole incompatible drivers is missing!missing.jpg

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 24th, 2022 05:00

You have to turn it on to check for drivers. 

If you get a Blue Screen if it is on, it may do strange things even when checking for drivers.

If it does show an Inaccessible boot device with Memory Integrity enabled, it may be related to the controller drivers for that drive.

5 Posts

September 24th, 2022 18:00

If I turn it on then restart it, the blue screen occurs that shows "Inaccessible Boot Device". Then the system will restart again then the Memory Integrity will be off.

I don't find any incompatible drivers in the Device Manager.

1 Message

September 25th, 2022 07:00

I have the same exact issue Dell XPS 15 7590

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 25th, 2022 12:00

Just so there is no misunderstanding, you do not have to restart the system to check for bad drivers, just turning it on will do that.

So, if I understand correctly, you turn it on and see no indication of bad drivers, it just stays on.  Then if you restart it will get the drive error.  I have no suggestions.

I don't understand how the two situations could be related.  So, you might check with the Microsoft user forums but at least send Feedback to Microsoft.

September 26th, 2022 09:00

I have the same problem. It's not only for Memory Integrity. If you Enable Virtual Machine Platform or Hyper-V or Hypervisor Platform, the system fails to boot and show Inaccessible Boot Device. Once you Disable Virtualization from BIOS, it boots flawlessly.

I believe Enabling Virtualization related service or app changes the Boot configuration and fails to boot.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this. This happens to me after upgrading to Windows 11 22H2

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 26th, 2022 11:00

@Wesleyrpg wrote:

Just wanted to report a minor bug with a fresh install on Windows 11 22H2 on XPS 15 7590.

When trying to turn on Memory Integrity under Device Security / Core Isolation, upon next reboot i get a blue screen with Inaccessible Boot Device.

This bug needs to be fixed.....Thanks

Thanks for the report.

However, sounds like maybe it should be reported to Microsoft as well. If only these Dell's ... might explain why it made it past the beta-testers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Wesleyrpg wrote:

Just verified ... it is on the list.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000187485/dell-computers-tested-for-upgrade-to-windows-11#XPS-NB-W11-22H2

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@prasathchan wrote:

I have the same problem. It's not only for Memory Integrity. If you Enable Virtual Machine Platform or Hyper-V or Hypervisor Platform, the system fails to boot and show Inaccessible Boot Device. Once you Disable Virtualization from BIOS, it boots flawlessly.

I believe Enabling Virtualization related service or app changes the Boot configuration and fails to boot.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this. This happens to me after upgrading to Windows 11 22H2

Do you also have a XPS-15 (7590) with the latest firmware?

Yes, it's my understanding that VT, Hyper-V, and Virtualization Based Security all use the same technology sub-system.

Are you running the machine in RAID/Intel-RST/ Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management mode, or AHCI ?

4 Posts

September 28th, 2022 00:00

I also have XPS15 (7590) with everything up to date (also check with SupportAssist), but it is still inaccessible boot device after using windows 11 update to 22H2. Try twice with no luck.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 28th, 2022 05:00

Several of the drives that might have come with that system, have firmware updates. 

The Intel Management Engine updates may also be important, but I will assume you already have that one.

No Events found!