Highlighted
JWStevens
1 Copper

XPS 15 7590 OLED Owners - Please Attempt to Reproduce

I can reproduce a system / video blackout problem reliably.  I am interested if anyone else can do the same.

In Chrome, the screen blacks out, the fan is triggered, the mouse cursor eventually reappears, and the system recovers.

BEWARE!  In Edge, the screen blacks out, and fan triggers.  However, it never recovers requiring a hard reboot.  

Before you begin, disconnect from all docks and external monitors.  USB-C dock with the native display disconnected seems to eliminate this problem.  This occurs for me regardless if AC power is connected or not.

• Reboot
  • Open Chrome
  • Start a new Tweet
  • Click the GIF button
  • Make sure it is set to auto-play the GIFs
  • Select a category or enter a search term
  • Scroll down quickly with the mouse wheel or clicking the scroll bar

I had the OLED display replaced for another problem.  I had the motherboard replaced for this problem but it still occurs.  A total replacement is on the way.  I will let you know if the replacement machine fixes this problem.

2 Replies
Highlighted
JWStevens
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 7590 OLED Owners - Please Attempt to Reproduce

I return my XPS 15 7590.

I replaced it with a Precision 55540.   It is virtually the same machine.  So far none of the video issues.  Microsoft Edge showing Twitter GIF search does not kill the machine.  The app slows and corrects itself as it should.  The machine heats up, fans kick on, but it performs nicely and recovers.  So far so good.

Highlighted

Re: XPS 15 7590 OLED Owners - Please Attempt to Reproduce

Hi Steven,

Please let me know if the credit it being processed to the original mode of payment so that we'll go ahead and update the case status.
Do feel free to get back to us here if you have any queries.

-Prashanth

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell