coffee4life
1 Copper

XPS 15-7590, TB16 240w, intermittently drops USB devices, monitor signal

Hey all!

So far haven't found someone with the same issue that I'm having with this dock. Bought the dock with my aging XPS 13-9360 knowing when Dell released the new XPS 15, I'd be setup to replace my aging tower next to my desk.  Unfortunately, it's been an absolute headache to say the least. First thing I tried was updating the firmware / drivers on both the XPS 15-7590 as well as the TB16, even downloaded the monitor drivers and updated that w/firmware (LG 34gk950F). As others have stated, I disabled c-state in the bios which helped tremendously with the constant flickering of video on/off, but after disabling it every say 10-20 minutes the monitor with black out, come back, black out, then BAM!  "No signal..."

I've booked marked both the XPS 15-7590 and TB16 driver pages and checked them daily in the hopes that Dell will release updated drivers that fix this annoying issue. In the meantime, have had to connect everything without a hub and go directly to the laptop (which stinks bad); USB Type-C, ethernet, HDMI, USB hub, power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't know if the TB16 itself is covered by a Dell warranty as I purchased it on Amazon directly from Amazon (Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc).  Wish this would have worked straight out of the box or say a couple weeks out of the box, it's been weeks now and quite a frustrating troubleshooting experience to say the least.  Thanks for reading!

coffee4life

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: XPS 15-7590, TB16 240w, intermittently drops USB devices, monitor signal

@coffee4life  you might want to consider returning the TB16 and buying the newer WD19TB instead, which is the TB16's replacement.  The TB16 had its share of reliability issues (perhaps even more than its fair share) and although the WD19TB is still rather new, it doesn't seem to be generating as many issue reports.  I know that @decker12 replaced some TB16s in his organization with WD19TBs, and last I heard from him, things have been going more smoothly for the users at that organization as a result.  The WD19TB also supports some newer features, such as DisplayPort 1.4.  The XPS 15 7590 admittedly doesn't support that, but it's nice futureproofing for possible future/additional systems you might end up using.  The WD19TB is also backward compatible with regular USB-C systems, i.e. non-Thunderbolt systems, at reduced functionality equivalent to the regular WD19 dock, whereas the TB16 doesn't work with non-Thunderbolt systems at all.  Lastly, note that unlike the TB16 that's available with 180W or 240W AC adapters, the WD19TB only comes with a 180W adapter because on that model, that's enough to provide 130W to an attached system, as the XPS 15 models require for optimal performance.  So there's no 240W variant of the WD19TB because there doesn't need to be.

If you're stuck with the TB16, I believe the warranty coverage would depend on how the unit was originally purchased from Dell, but you should find a Service Tag and/or Express Service Code that you can plug into support.dell.com to check the warranty coverage situation.

0 Kudos
coffee4life
1 Copper

Ahh bummer, I'd bet since I bought it off amazon (back in May) that it's not covered by Dells product warranty, But thanks for the info, maybe someone on craigslist would be interested in a dock for an older XPS 13 or something (ugh still nervous dealing with cl though).  Still hoping Dell would just update their drivers as it should be perfectly capable of handling the new XPS rig instead of blowing more money on another one.  even forced my monitor into dp 1.2 mode while back with the same results, trying different cables etc, still the ball is in Dells court. Hmph.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Thanks for the mention up there. The bottom line for us is that we've replaced almost all of our TB16s with either Caldigit TB3+ (for users with single monitors) or WD19TB (for users with dual 4k monitors). 

The few remaining TB16s are now exhibiting twisted/frayed cables and cracked plastic housing on the TB3 port. Just as I suspected they would experience when we bought the TB16s years ago. The short and thick cable length puts too much pressure on the port when you plug it into a laptop, which eventually cracks the plastic housing and bends the TB3 male plug.

Again I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would consider bailing entirely on the TB16. I gave it a real dedicated effort trying to get them running without issues in my organization, on a variety of laptops. They all eventually developed issues of some sort.

By comparison, the WD19TBs have been very solid. We've had one bad one which kept dropping the monitor connection, requiring us to physically pull the power on the dock, but that's been the only issue and it was just for one dock.

0 Kudos

The XPS 15-7590 sales site recommends the WD19TB =

The TB16 sales page under, "Designed For", does not mention the XPS 15-7590 =

The TB16 System Compatibility Matrix also does not show the XPS 15-7590 =

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos